BootsnAll Travel Network



Alive and well

A festive street scene in Bamako

Happy new year to all our readers out there. This is just a quick update to let you all know that we’re both alive and well. News has reached us that the Salisbury Journal has just run a big page lead (though only page 8 I’m disappointed to hear) saying something to the effect of ‘Malaria threatens West Africa adventure’. Well, almost but not quite.

Even though the malaria incident was my last blog entry, I’m pleased to say I’ve made a full recovery. Shortly after it, I got a bout of amoebic dystentary, but that’s gone too. So, if any Journal reporters are reading this now, perhaps you’d be good enough to do a follow-up to inform your readers that we’re both flourishing. We just haven’t written much recently because we’ve been enjoying the festive period, Malian style. If you need any quotes, please post a request in the comment box

So there’s lots more to update since the malaria bout. But we’re going to have to leave you hanging for just a bit longer as on Monday we set sail for the fabled city of Timbuktu and the riches it no doubt has in store for us. Mungo Park never quite made it here; let’s hope we have better luck…



Tags:

4 Responses to “Alive and well”

  1. Peter and Louise Says:

    High guys. Nice to hear you are enjoying yourselves. Happy new year and wish we were there, the weather is terrible here! really enjoying your adventures. Hope you get to the Dogons, well worth it.

  2. Lu Mizen Says:

    Hey Ben and Dan,

    so have you reached the mystical city of Timbuktu yet?? I was there in 2003, try a treck out into the sahara and role down the biggest sandune there!!

    I’m part of the communications team onboard the Anastasis, currently docked in Ghana.

    I hear you’ve been in touch with Jane Palmer in the UK. Gordon, head of communications onboard thought it might be fun to track your progress!
    So as the only Brit in the team i thought i’d say hi!

    You guys are doing an amazing thing. If you need any info or current information at all from the ship then just let me know.

    we can send you patient stories that will certainly make you remember (during difficult moments!) why you undertook such a crazy adventure.

    keep smiling!
    lu

  3. Posted from United States United States
  4. Mr Banks Says:

    Dan

    Good to hear that you’re both paddling once again. I was beginning to think that you had flogged the canoe. Don’t worry about the m/bike, it’s being well looked after. No overtime so I’ve taken to doing a bit of courier work around town, so don’t spend all your money as it will probably need a service when you get back.

    Keep blogging, it brightens up my day and I think I’m starting to get itchy feet myself. Now where’s that dam atlas

    Your entrusted friend Neil B & all the chaps in the office.

  5. admin Says:

    Cheers for the post Neil. Good to know you’re following all the action.

    I’ve just seen a couple of Hondas and a beemer covered in the ubiquitous red dust that gets everywhere over here. They’re doing a trans-africa trek and it makes me pine for the old Yam… next time, eh?

    Hope all’s well at the farm. See you all soon. Dan.

  6. admin Says:

    Lu,

    Good to hear from you and thanks for your support.

    I was inspired to raise money for Mercy Ships after attending a talk by the photographer Scott Harrison whose pictures brought home the amazing work performed abord ship.

    Keep up the great work everyone.

    Dan.

Leave a Reply