BootsnAll Travel Network



Tuna Fishing

Hello all, I am back in Bangkok after an exausting week of festivities down on Koh Phi Phi. The high tourist season has just started in SEA, meaning higher prices for everything, and loads of European tourists flooding the scene looking for fun in the sun. With all of the blond-haired and blue-eyed scandanavians roaming the beaches, I felt like I was in some twisted mix of Minnesota and Thailand.

Koh Phi Phi is one of the more dramatic places I have been to in this part of the world. Huge limestone cliffs rise up out of turquoise colored water next to white sand beaches and are surrouded by lush, tropical jungle. It is easy to see why the island is mobbed by tourists.

Though the island was beautiful, and I had a really fun time, I wouldn’t say that it has been the highlight of my trip. For me, the people you are hanging out with make or break a place. The high season tourists are more of the 2-3 week variety who just want to sit on the sand and party at night. Not that I didn’t meet plenty of interesting, nice people, I just didn’t find anything special about my time there.

I will now talk about some great times I had. One night, I met two Thai girls on vacation (from the nearby island of Phuket) who invited me to join them the next day fishing on a longtail boat. The day was a blast. Our captain piloted us around the island while trolling two lines. I don’t claim to be anything but a poor to average fisherman, so I layed back in my hammok on the boat until a fish was on the line, then I stood up and displayed some heroics in reeling in the fish. Within a few hours of trolling, we had two 18″ Tuna in a cooler waiting to be eaten. For lunch, we pulled up on a deserted island and sat back as our captian – using only a large knife – gutted the fish and made a grill out of green wood over a fire. We had no eating utensils, so after throwing a bit of salt on the fish, we sat on the beach and ate the Tuna with our fingers. It was some of the best fish I’ve ever had – just because of how simple the whole process was.

After lunch, we stopped at a few places for some great snorkling and swimming. The views below the water was almost as good as the rock formations that surrounded us. There was some great marine life – I saw plenty of Parrotfish, Angelfish, and Butterflyfish. The highlight was when we came across a school of dolphins late in the afternoon.

If you are looking for some good beach action and gorgeous scenery, Koh Phi Phi should suite you nicely. I had a great time there. Just realize that you won’t be the only person on the beach.



Tags:

5 Responses to “Tuna Fishing”

  1. The Alaskan Says:

    Your trip to the island sounds great. Not to mention some pretty good views. It looks like you made friends with two very attractive locals. Were you able to do much diving during your stay perhapes cross paths with the gental giants known as whale sharks etc… When you say that things are much more expensive could someone still get by on 30 dollars US a day? How long does the busy season last perhapes I should postpone my journy for a bit? Like you, I agree that the people you meet on your travels do make or break your mood… The more I read of your adventures the more I anticipate my own departure date!!! I am also very curious about the monks that care for the tigers how could I ensure that I am able to make a visit (where are they)? I am an avid animal lover and I acutally recall watching a documentary regarding that same sanctuary. However, I dont recall where it was… I saw the look on your face while your picture was taken with those wild cats and strangly enough I cant see any fear in it… You are either very good at masking your tension or very comfortable… Thankyou so much for your previous e-mail. Your trip will in many ways guide me in my travels…

    Much Regard

    Tha Alaskan

    P.S I have been riding dirt bikes since I was 5 starting with a little 50cc honda. Are their many places that you can rent a good dirt bike like you did on your way up the mountian?

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. keith Says:

    “Poor to average fisherman”

    Apparently, you’re forgetting Sabattus Pond!

    “There’s something you should know about me Joe Rogan…”

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. tone Says:

    it is such a wonderful place

  6. Posted from Lao People's Democratic Republic Lao People's Democratic Republic
  7. Jeff Says:

    Neil, I have to ask. I’m sure I’m not the only one wondering. . . when you were in the picture with the 2 tuna on the beach with the “captain” of the fishing boat, was he just wearing that yellow polo shirt and nothing else? it seems as though this could be a possibility, and if so, could have tainted some of your great views of the island. just curious . . .

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. sharon locke Says:

    s-it seems you have inherited the risk taking gene. mom

  10. Posted from United States United States