BootsnAll Travel Network



Jungle Beach

Hello all.

I am sorry for the lapse in postings as of late, but I have spent the past 5 days at Jungle Beach, far away from modern communication and defiantly the best spot I’ve been on my trip.

I wound up there by chance really. In Na Trang, I ran into three French travelers (two sisters, Marie and Julie, and their cousin, Nicolas) who happened to be staying at the same hotel as I was. They invited me to come to Jungle Beach with them and I gladly accepted (all they had to say was that it had primitive accommodation and a private beach).

Before heading to Jungle beach, we all went on a very disappointing Mama Linh boat trip in Na Trang. I had read stories about these trips; they sounded quite fun: a tour of the surrounding islands, snorkeling, and lots of booze. The snorkeling was very mediocre, the boat was packed with Vietnamese families, and the islands were not very interesting. At lunchtime, they hooked up a karaoke machine and cranked out some awful Vietnamese hits. I made up for all of this by drinking more than a few beers with some fellow tourists, but for the money it was definantly not worth it. I think the glory days of the Na Trang boat tours are long gone.

After the boat trip, we headed up to Jungle Beach, a small resort about an hour north of Na Trang at quite literally the end of the road. Silvio, a French-Canadian expat and his Vietnamese family run the resort. He has set up quite little slice of paradise for himself and travellers. For $15 a day you get a place to sleep, three amazing meals cooked by his wife, and access to a pristine, empty beach. My three-walled bamboo structure was a perfect place for sleeping. It was at the edge of the beach, facing east so every morning at around 5 am I would be greeted with an amazing sunrise. After snoozing for a few hours I would head down to the beach for a morning swim.

The entertainment options are pretty limited at Jungle Beach. You can swim/snorkel around some peninsulas and gain access to beaches with absolutely no one on them (the main beach saw at most 20 people). I spent one-day collecting shells and then made a necklace out of them (let me know what you think). Guests eat their meals at a long, communal table where whatever Silvio’s wife feels like cooking is served and then devoured with joy. After dinner, guests would play cards, read, or have a few beers and listen to music. One night I showed Silvio my ipod with the FM transmitter. As soon as I had Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band coming out of his radio his face lit up like a Christmas tree. The next day he showed various Vietnamese who were around my gadget, and they were equally astounded. I got a good laugh out of it.

The full moon was Monday night. In Southeast Asia, many full-moon parties have sprung up, the largest being on Koh Phagnan in Thailand. That party attracts about 10,000 raging drunk tourists onto a tiny beach. I have heard mixed reviews about it, but I really enjoyed my own full moon party. I had a couple of beers with a few Irish lads and then went snorkeling in the ocean to look at the phosphorescence. We were the only 5 people around. After four nights and days, I was probably the most relaxed I have ever been (coincidentally, I am also the most tan I have ever been).

If anyone wants any more information about Jungle Beach (I believe it is in the Planet Lonely), drop me a line. I would highly recommend a stop if you are in the area.

I have now returned to Na Trang for a night. Tomorrow I leave for Mui Nai, a small resort town that I have heard good things about.

Prost,
Neil



Tags:

5 Responses to “Jungle Beach”

  1. dad Says:

    that is my kind of shack, a place to hang the head and keep the tan going!

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Jake Says:

    Neil, with your iPOD and undoubtedly pimp shell necklace you are like a god to them. Keith and I have framed that pic of you with the statue and hung it over our fireplace. keep on keeping on and keep the blog up. Always a good read and laugh.

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Peares Says:

    I will be in Vietnam in March next year and would like some more details on Jungle Beach.
    It sounds like a place I stayed in Tonga that was really cool but it also depends on who else is staying with you.
    I enjoy reading your adventures
    Keep up the good work.
    Pearse

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. KAZ Says:

    Great to read your stories. I’m in Vietnam this month and am hoping to visit Jungle Beach (especially after your stories!). I’m just wondering how difficult (or easy) and expensive it is to get from Jungle Beach back to Nha Trang as I’m hoping to catch the train up to Danang. Is there public transportation or do I hire a driver? Can’t find much information on this as well as Jungle Beach Resort’s website (lonely planet’s link doesn’t work) so your information would be of great help.
    Cheers!

  8. Posted from Japan Japan
  9. Dj Says:

    What was the quality and diversity of the snorkling? I’ll be in Vietnam in early October and am looking for a quiet beach getaway but I will trade off quiet for quality snorkling.

  10. Posted from United States United States