BootsnAll Travel Network



Fear and Loathing at the Water Festival

The annual Water Festival hit Phnom Penh this past weekend. If I am living here next year, I will be sure and head down to the beach and avoid the whole scene. The festival was interesting, but the hordes of people made getting around a huge pain in the ass.

Phnom Penh sits at the junction of two rivers, the Mekong and the Tonle Sap. The Tonle Sap flows from the huge Tonle Sap Lake, which lies to the north of Phnom Penh. During the rainy season, so much excess water flows down the Mekong from China and Laos that it actually causes the Tonle Sap River to reverse flow. By absorbing all of this extra water flowing down the Mekong, it prevents what would be massive amounts of flooding in the Mekong Delta. The Tonle Sap Lake swells from 1000 square miles to nearly 4000, turning it into one of the most productive freshwater fisheries in the world. The excess water also replenishes nutrients to the fertile soil of Cambodia.

The Water Festival commemorates the start of the dry season and the change in flow of the Tonle Sap River. For three days, Cambodians from the provinces pour into the capital to celebrate the harvest, see big city life, and watch boat races. Along the riverside, vendors selling food, baskets, and just about everything else set up stalls as thousands of Cambodians walk up and down the road. Thousands more stand on the banks of the river watching boats race from the Japanese Bridge (named because the Japanese paid and built it) to the royal palace two at a time. Something like 360 boat teams from every province participated in the action.

Standing on the banks of the Tonle Sap, it is really hard to know what is going on in the races. You will watch two boats coming down the river, pass you, and then hit the finish line. About 30 seconds later, another two boats come down, racing each other. I saw no programs, though there were loudspeakers set up with a running commentary in Khmer. Hundreds of years ago, the boat races used to be an opportunity for the military to show off their prowess in front of the king. Now each boat is sponsored by some ministry or organization. ACE, an English school, even sponsored a boat.

At the intersection of street 108 and the river, there is a bandstand where the latest music sensations perform for crowds weekly. During the day there were a variety of booths set up promoting various products. They all had obscenely loud sound systems blasting out everything from shitty Khmer karaoke music to sales pitches. They were all competing with each other for your attention, and in this part of the world, louder is better. I feared permanent hearing loss, so I quickly vacated the area. At night in the bandstand, Khmer pop stars performed for large crowds that did nothing but stare at the stage – no dancing, clapping, or even swaying.

On Friday night I was heading down to a pub to meet some friends. I rounded a corner near the Royal Palace and was confronted with about 10,000 Khmers trying to walk in the opposite direction down the street as me. I slowly made headway against the tide of people, who would all look up at me in awe – once in a while I would get a “hello”. Apparently most of them had never seen a white man before. Occasionally people came up to me and touched me, fascinated by my skin? dress? Frankly I don’t know. What I do know is that I was glad for the whole ordeal to be over.

One of the more interesting things I did was go to the mall. Cambodia has only one modern mall, complete with escalators and a food court. Thousands of Khmers came to see the place – I have never seen a more crowded mall in my life. It was really interesting watching rural Khmers see and try out an escalator for the first time. Lines would form with people trying to get on, pushing and shoving for a chance to ride the strange contraption. Most would apprehensively approach it and quickly jump onto it, grabbing hold of one another so they would not fall over. There were even security guards standing at the bottom helping people get on. I spoke with a fellow teacher the other night who saw an entire family continuously fall down an up escalator, rolling on top of each other for a number of minutes before someone helped them out.

In retrospect, the Water Festival was an interesting experience, though I am not sure if I would attend again. Many residents of Phnom Penh actually leave town and head off on vacation. I will be sure to do the same next year. This post may give you a negative impression of the festivities. It is certainly something worth seeing, just be aware that there is a lot of people and a lot of noise.



Tags:

9 Responses to “Fear and Loathing at the Water Festival”

  1. dad Says:

    now you know why we like to leave during the uptown fair…..or never go to jesse james days….

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. nikolai Says:

    Here in Copenhagen people know how to use escalators. Makes life a bit dull I suppose. In a few weeks I’m going to Marbella. I’ll try and find those 16year old swedish chics, but my girlfriend will be there… Dude, do you have an address now?

  4. Posted from Denmark Denmark
  5. josh Says:

    that kid is sitting on the escelator again…sorry to hear you finally rejoined the work force, but its always nice to have some cash comming in.

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. Nathan Says:

    Meet me in Cognito, baby
    Of course we’ll have to color our hair
    The best thing about life in Cognito is that everybody’s nobody there.

    Have you read Villa Icognito? I’m going to go looking for the Villa sometime in March. You should join me if you’d like (that is, if you’ve read the book).

    http://blogs.bootsnall.com/nathan/

    Nathan

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. Paige Says:

    S, that reminds me: you should read villa incognito since you are in se asia. it’s brilliant. who knows, maybe you’ve already been there…

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. tone Says:

    prety feeling to restard to work again!

  12. Posted from Lao People's Democratic Republic Lao People's Democratic Republic
  13. Bram Says:

    Hello Neil
    It’s nice to read you’re still alive and kicking in the Far East. David, my friend and colleague, just sent my your internet diary. I read some parts of it and especially the part about hue where we met almost some 4 months ago. I hope your teaching job will keep on going well!
    Greetings
    Bram (one of the two Belgian mathmaticians)

  14. Posted from Belgium Belgium
  15. dad Says:

    what happen to the other Belgian mathmatician?

  16. Posted from United States United States
  17. david Says:

    hehe,

    the other mathematician sent your son an email to the norksihero-adress 🙂
    He is still alive, and kicks like he never kicked before!

    I have also been reading parts of the diary here : impressive! And like I told Neil in the email, I am very happy for him that he got the job!

    Take good care,
    david

  18. Posted from Belgium Belgium