BootsnAll Travel Network



To the Llao Llao

Day 184

Woke up this morning from one of the best sleeps I have had travelling. Our hostel is just outside the centre of Bariloche and its a quiet place. Add to that the cool night time temperatures here and it made for a fabulous sleep. The hostel is run by a young Argentine who took it over only 6 months ago, so far he was doing a great job. It felt like we were staying with friends.

Jordana and I walked into the large spotless kitchen for breakfast. Its not going to take much longer to be sick of media lunas here in Argentina, we need to start making our own breakfast. I mean isn’t breakfast supposed to be the healthy meal to start the day? I can’t eat desert for breakfast much longer.

After breakfast we packed a day pack and hopped on the #20 bus in the centre of town. We were taken 25km along the lake to Puerto Panuelo or as its more commonly known Llao Llao after the famous hotel located here. Wondering how to pronounce that? Something like shao shao, I’m still trying to figure it out but its a fun one to keep repeating. Also here was the most incredible setting for a golf course I have ever seen. Now I’m just trying to talk Jordana into letting me play here. Anyway the point of coming here, a starting spot for some day walks through the woods. After some wandering we eventually found the trail head and began our walk that cut through some towering trees and a surprising bamboo undergrowth. Bamboo actually is native here and thrives in the cold temperatures. Every so often on our left we caught a glimpse of Lago Moreno.

Then came the spot, about 3km into the walk a clearing with a path leading down to the lake. We followed it and eventually came to a rocky spot on the lakes shore. The water was still as glass and in front of us two huge mountains covered in snow reflected perfectly in the water. As if we were looking at a mirror image. How do I describe this place? No amount of superlatives could do it justice, I struggled to think of another natural sight that has impressed me more. We continued on and looped back to walk back to Puerto Panuleo. Every so often through the trees we would spot another incredible spiky peak. There were still a spots of snow in the shade so we tried to have a snow ball fight, but mostly it was ice balls.

Back in Puerto Panuleo we waited for the bus back into Bariloche. After no more than 5 minutes we were on our way. As we arrived back in town and got our first real glimpse at an afternoon in Bariloche. Its a busy town, mainly filled with Argentine tourists and most of them are students. For a town its size there are plenty of good restaurants and bars due to the large ski resorts above town. It appeared many people preferred to stay in town instead of on the mountain. All this gives Bariloche a lively feel and with its lakeside setting its a very easy place to hang out in for a few days.



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply