BootsnAll Travel Network



Running From Kruger

Day 247

We had plans of being up at 5am and out again by 5:30am. We were both up at 4:30am, problem was not to leave but for the washroom. Seems that last nights dinner had some issues with both of our stomachs. We were back in bed till 6am and after popping some imodium in the car shortly after. With neither of us feeling well we changed our plans for the day. We hoped to have done a good 3 hours of driving in the park along some of the backroads. Instead we headed south on the main road and out to the N4 highway.

Along the way we did see a bush pig, several warthogs and the usual giraffe, imapala, wildebeest and kudu to name a few. It was a good drive but I really needed to get to the crocodile bridge gate to use their washrooms. We arrived at the gate just before 8am. Jordana and I used the facilities, received our exit permit and said goodbye to Kruger. What a few days its been, sure no lion spottings but I think I can safely say one of the highlights of the trip for both of us.
On the N4 highway we were back in civilization again, Steers fastfood and giant service stations lined the roadside. Hard to believe Kruger was just a few km’s away. Our car was to be returned in Nelspruit today and that’s where we were heading. We arrived in about 2 hours and checked in to the Nelspruit Backpackers. I’m not sure what we were thinking but feeling ill had something to do with it. After we checked in we realized this wasn’t really a nice place. They have share 2 toilets for the entire place, which is around 15 people. Plus it could be cleaner, much cleaner. We were kicking ourselves since we had a car and could have went anywhere but we just wanted a bed to sleep in right now.

Not much else to tell you about Nelspruit, its a busy town that serves as a transit point between Jo’burg, Kruger and Mozambique. We were headed to Mozambique tomorrow so wanted to sort out our visa situation here. Turns out a visa at the consulate here is 700 Rand ($70) but 172 Rand at the border. Easy choice to get it at the border, problem was bus companies will not wait for you to get a visa. With some research we found Cheetah Express, a minibus that goes Nelspruit-Maputo daily at 4pm and they would wait for us. So that was our plan, off tomorrow at 4pm to the capital of Mozambique, Maputo.

As for the rest of this night? Bad chinese food and a noisy and drunk staff at the hostel while we tried to get an early sleep. If you are ever in Nelspruit stay away from Nelspruit Backpackers, its a bad place. Sure I didn’t feel well but the girl who was working the night we were there was more interested in getting drunk and listening to loud music till 5am then the comfort of the guests. I guess we should have known since we should up at 10:30am and she tells us that she was already into some long island ice teas and was feeling a bit tipsy. My dear most people call that a problem. Mozambique couldn’t quite come fast enough.



Tags: , ,

2 responses to “Running From Kruger”

  1. rob says:

    “I guess we should have known since we should up at 10:30am and she tells us that she was already into some long island ice teas and was feeling a bit tipsy. ”

    you had to travel 10,000 miles to find Altaz a woman

  2. Athena says:

    Hi Mike and Jordana

    Happy New Year and hope to see you soon in 2009

    take care Teta and Uncle Bill

Leave a Reply