BootsnAll Travel Network



Paradise Beach

Day: 21 to 25

We awoke in the morning to the sounds of pounding surf and the call of the orange salesman. Out our window was a deserted golden sand beach that stretched about 3km to our left and another 1km to the right. Welcome to San Agustinillo, population 250. We were staying at the Hotel Malex, a three room place directly on the beach. Our room was so close that at times the noise of crashing waves was almost annoying, almost.

Honestly there is not much to tell about our adventures or lack of in San Agustinillo. This is the sort of town that you can lose your self in for a long time. The sort of place Jordana and I were already talking about returning to someday. Since just about every day was the same routine I’ll try and just explain our typical day.

Around 9am we would roll out of bed and take a shower. I’d stand on our balcony and just stare up and down the beach, there were never more 10 people on it at the same time. Directly in front of our place was some huge surf most days that attracted some great surfers. Next to our place was a small restaurant, they are all directly on the beach. By all I am talking 5 places max in the whole town. After a slow breakfast we made our way to the beach, about 500 meters from our place is a great naturally sheltered swimming area, however there were still large waves to have some fun with in the water. Around 1pm we would have enough sun and walk back to a beach bar for a cerveza Victoria right on the sand. We’d break for dinner around 7pm and always had some tasty fresh seafood, the pulpo (octopus) was best.

This is all probably boring you by now, all I can add is that the coast in Oaxaca has some truly amazing beaches. Stunning settings, tucked behind the tall mountains and always hot and dry weather. San Agustinillo was a real treat. The town was a really small place but had all you needed for a very relaxed beach stay. Including some friendly locals. It was hard to depart San Agustinillo, falling into such a relaxing routine we were very comfortable.

As tough as it was to depart we were both highly anticipating finally reaching the state of Chiapas and the city of San Cristobal. We boarded our first overnight bus in Potchutla for the 12 hour journey to San Cristobal. We are in the last row, directly beside the toilets. Please, for the love of god I hope the people of this bus haven’t eaten much. I’m thinking of just telling people that the toilet is not working. “Lo siento, no servicio”. Does that sound about right?



Tags:

Leave a Reply