BootsnAll Travel Network



New Colonialism

Day 75

We had slept in today, 9:30am. You may think that the life of a longterm traveller is party all night ans sleep all day but truth is we rarely sleep past 8am. This isn’t really a vacation, its our life right now. Ok enough of that, I can hear you all now. “Oh shut up ya lazy punk.” Right, so we probably could have slept later today but our room had heated up to the point that it felt like a tent that was sitting out in the sun. Up quickly and under the cold shower that was literally a tap sticking out of the wall, no matter it was refreshing. We were planning on checking out a few churches in town today and the local museum. Also we just got word that Jordana’s parents are going to be meeting us Jan 31st in Panama. So we want to get on the net today to start planning what we will be seeing with them. With only 2 weeks we figure we should actually make some plans, something that is a very foreign concept to us.

We start the day with my new favourite breakfast, gallo pinto. Who knew rice, mixed with beans and fried could be so could in the morning. Throw in some scrambled eggs and tortillas and you got a winner. After breakfast we walked over to the museum. Set around two beautiful courtyards it houses some impressive ancient stone statues found around the islands of Lake Nicaragua. The museum was interesting and well done but the main attraction was the beautifully restored building itself. We left the museum in the mid-day heat and stopped by the main square for yet another cold chocolate drink. This isn’t just any old chocolate milk with ice. Its real cocoa with milk and ice and they are addictive and great on a hot day. From the park we moved up to check out some cathedrals. None were as impressive on the inside and the out. However one had a tall bell tower that we were able to climb for some outstanding views of the city, with Lake Nicaragua in the distance.

We then headed for the internet cafe for about 1 hour where we researched things to do in Panama and tried to reserve some accommodation. We learnt that Jordana’s parents visit coincided with Carnival in Panama city. This meant accommodation was either booked or the prices were jacked up substantially.

That night we had dinner at a great and affordable restaurant that was owned by a French expat. The tilapia was fantastic and some creative food was a nice change. This is also where it was quite evident that American retirees were moving to Granada. Looking around the restaurant we were the youngest people there and I felt like I was eating in Florida. Old folk were everywhere and they all mostly spoke in english to the wait staff who spoke no english. This was a scene we had seen in pockets across central America. Sort of a new type of colonialism. Rich North American and European expats moving in and buying up land. In turn real estate prices go up and locals can’t afford to live in the area anymore. We saw it here in Granada as well as parts of Guatemala and Mexico. I don’t know enough to judge whether its a good or bad thing but I find it tough to see the benefits to the local economy.

We finished the night with another beer on the same patio as last night. A great spot for people watching and enjoying the beautiful Granada night. In the morning we are heading further south to Rivas where we will catch a boat on Lake Nicaragua to the island of Ometepe. Granada was a beautiful city however I think we have officially been colonial citied out. Sort of seeing too many cathedrals in Europe or mayan ruins around here. Since northern Mexico we have seen many and some incredibly beautiful places but after a while you sort of want a change. A different feel, Ometepe should provide us with that.



Tags:

3 responses to “New Colonialism”

  1. gareth says:

    Yo TFC traded Ronnie O’Brien for a draft pick???????? Wierd. oh and I got accepted to grad school today

  2. pete & Irena says:

    Hey Guys!! It’s February 29th and we just got hit with another snow storm and the Leafs lost AGAIN!!. I hope you feel sorry for us peasants up here in the great white north.
    You Guys must be having a great time down there because we haven’t seen a blog from you in over a month.

  3. Michael says:

    Yeah I´m a bit behind but catching up…it´s like a fulltime job writing these. haha
    Well Pete if it makes you feel better we are high in the Andes mountains and it´s close to freezing at night!

    Say hi to Irena, selina and Alexander!!

Leave a Reply