BootsnAll Travel Network



Las Penitas

Day 72

Only 25km from the city of Leon lies the small beach town of Las Penitas. A scruffy, small village with only a few place (3) to stay and some of the best surfing in Central America.  Jordana and I headed out here to chill out for a few days and enjoy the sun.  It had been awhile since we had been on a beach, way back in Mexico at San Agustinillo.  

For some reason we left Leon thinking we needed some luxury transportation, or at least thought we would get luxury.  Instead of taking the 1 hour bus trip out to Las Penitas we decided to splurge on a taxi.  At $7 it is about 7 times the price it would cost for us to take the bus.  However a taxi was supposed to take 20 minutes, or so we thought.  I flagged down a taxi that looked ok and we climbed in.  Oh man, this was easily the worst car, if you could still call it a car, that we had ever been in.  First off Leon is hot, very hot and the rear windows on this taxi didn´t open, the handles had been broken off.  That was actually the smallest of issues.  Every bump we hit large clouds of dust would rise from the seats.  The rear seat where I sat wasn´t even the original seat from the car, it was more like a futon that had been placed back there.  I was pretty much lying down when I sat back there, Jordana sat in somewhat more comfortable front seat.  About half way to the beach we were going up a small hill, the car maxed out at 20km/h, when we stalled.  For a few minutes our driver babbled some spanish at us that we didn´t understand while he tried to start his taxi again.  I thought of a get away plan, I figured the bus would pass soon since it was hourly.  If we jumped out and flagged it down it be fine, maybe I´d toss the driver 20 Cordobas (about $1) for his troubles.  Just when I was ready to climb out he got the taxi going and we sputtered along the rough road with dust filling the inside of the car.  All I could think was, Oh why didn´t we just stick with the bus?! 

We pulled through the town and I was surprised how small it actually was.  This was still very much a fishing village and tourism was not yet a huge concern.  We checked into a small guesthouse where we found our own bungalow directly on the sand facing out to the crashing Pacific Ocean.  The room was basic but sitting on our front veranda all but sealed the deal for taking this room.

This is probably my shortest entry as everything I just wrote is the only noteworthy things that happened in Las Penitas.  We spent the days relaxing on the beach and when the sun became to hot we wandered into the water.  The surf here is massive, consistently 2 meters.  We had fun in the waves but at that size and with strong rip tides we could only go so deep.  The body surfing was incredible though, I don´t think I have felt such powerful surf anywhere I have been.  Other than lazing on the beach we walked south along the beach where we waded through a river that rushed into the Pacific.  On the other side the beach seemed to stretch for ever with no development in sight as far as we could see.  This was one of the most incredible coasts we had seen.  Our evenings consisted of beers and cheap but tasty fish from the guesthouses restaurant.  Usually we were in bed by 10pm.  It´s a tough life in Las Penitas, but we have to move on.  Next stop is south back to Managua for a night, hopefully a more successful and comfortable stay than the last time we rolled through.   



Tags: , , , ,

One response to “Las Penitas”

  1. Canadian Blue(scott) says:

    Gald you guys are having a good time…….looking forward to see you at Shoeless again inthe future

Leave a Reply