BootsnAll Travel Network



Jungle in the City

Day 103

Our last day in Panama City. Its certainly never been boring in this country, usually for the wrong reasons. Believe it or not our bad luck struck again last night. We were in a net cafe and I was uploading photos from our storage drive to the net. All of a sudden the drive shut off and stopped spinning. I tried to hit the power and nothing, I was stunned. 4GB of photos are on this drive, all of our photos other than the ones that were lost with the stolen camera. If these were lost it meant we pretty much had no pictures of the trip to date. Needless to say I freaked out a bit. I called home and talked to my dad about mailing the drive home to at least try and get the photos off it somehow. This morning we spent $48 to FedEx it home, hoping for the best.

Today in an effort to forget about all the crap that has happened to us in Panama we set out for the Parque Metropolitain. A large slice of rain forest set at the northern limits of the city. We took a taxi only 10 minutes away and reached the parks entrance. On the trails we felt like we had been transported far from the city, we were walking through dense jungle. Near the end of the hike we even spotted a group of titi monkeys in the trees. An amazing sight considering how close we were to the city.

As the sun set and the slightly cooler night air set in we enjoyed a few cold beers on a patio. We talked about our time in Panama, about our incredible string of bad luck. Surely it had to get better once we departed Panama. You know though in the end we both agreed as much bad that has happened here we still really enjoyed the country. A bit off the traditional backpacker route of Central America, Panama almost feels undiscovered at times. I leave understanding and believing the statement that for every monkey in Costa Rica you’ll see 10 in Panama, and for every 10 tourists in Costa Rica you’ll see 1 in Panama.



Tags:

Leave a Reply