BootsnAll Travel Network



Coffee, Old Folk and Cinnamon

Day 86

Today is a travel day, however since we are taking the overnight bus to Panama City we have all day to enjoy Boquete. Even though making breakfast was a great luxury the coffee and cinnamon rolls at Shalom Bakery had us back again. This was becoming sort of an addiction, we would eat breakfast there and then return for an afternoon snack. After breakfast we decided to walk off that cinnamon roll and explore the mountains surrounding the town.

Boquete has been named one of the top 10 places in the world to retire by an American retirement magazine. We walked a beautiful loop just north of the town that took us through mostly coffee plantations and over clear, clean rushing streams. The only blemishes were the large construction projects of new gated retirement sub-divisions for rich gringo’s. Don’t get me wrong the area is still beautiful and not very touristy at all, however I’m not sure I even want to know what its going to look like in 10 years time.

Just before entering the town again we stopped at the Cafe Ruiz coffee plantation. The coffee here in Boquete is fantastic and here at the plantation was no different. It was such a nice change as most of Central American coffee growing countries export the good stuff. Even Jordana, who isn’t a coffee drinker can’t resist the great brew here. Jonathan and myself who love coffee have been drinking way to much, I was shaking the rest of our walk into town.

After a quick lunch of rice and beans yet again we just headed back to the cottage to rest before making our way back south to David. The overnight bus left from David at 11:30pm, so our plan was to go a bit earlier and catch a movie. We bid farewell the Jonathan, however we made plans to meet up again in Bocas del Toro in a weeks time. We boarded the bus to David and as we slowly descended down the mountains the heat and humidity returned.

Jordana and I caught an 8pm showing of American Gangster, which is not bad if you haven’t seen it. The movie ran almost 3 hours, so the timing was perfect. We boarded our comfortable double decker bus, were ready for Panama City and excited to be meeting Jordana’s parents.



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply