BootsnAll Travel Network



Charco Verde

Day 77

After another breakfast of gallo pinto we are off to catch the island bus to Charco Verde, or Green Lagoon. I wonder how long until I get sick of fried beans, rice and eggs for breakfast? Out on the main street of town we wait for the hourly bus that circles the island. As we wait a man drives up in a taxi and offers to drive us for $6, I guess I’m feeling rich today so we accept. As we begin the drive I do the math in my head. $6 for this taxi instead of the 25 cent bus, that’s a 7 beer difference! Yes, after travelling for a while beer becomes a great measure of value.

As we arrive at Charco Verde we are instantly relaxed. The staff is incredibly friendly and our room couldn’t be any better. We have our own bungalow about 5 meters from the water. Our room is huge with A/C, a large front veranda and 3 double beds just in case we have any guests. All this for $25/night. Oh and the beer is 75 cents, that’s good value. I can tell right away this is going to be the sort of place that is tough to leave. Its so peaceful here, there is no town here. Just 2 places to stay right on the lake with 1km of farm land separating the 2 hotels from the main road. In front of us sits Lake Nicaragua and a glimpse behind us, inland looms the tall, green peak of the volcano poking out of the clouds.

We spend the rest of the day just hanging out on our veranda. We see Jonathan from the Hotel Ali. Turns out he is staying here as well. At night we dine on cheap yet tasty tilapia from the lake and drink many cervezas with Jonathan. Jordana and I fall asleep to the sound of gentle waves lapping ashore. It was a great night and Charco Verde looks like the type of place we may get “stuck” at for a while.



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply