BootsnAll Travel Network



Beach’n Bulungula

Day 232

As much as there is to do here at Bulungula it is also a fantastic place to just kick back for a day of relaxation. With no cars, no electricity, no tv’s and no crime and beautiful beaches we planned on doing absolutely nothing today. Yes you read that correctly, crime is unheard of here. In South Africa to find an area with no crime is as rare as a Maple Leaf Stanley cup win. We don’t even have a lock on the door to our room.

After breakfast we read and lazed around the lodge before finding a spot on the beach where we spent the next few hours. The beach here is long, empty, and clean with soft sand. The water however is still pretty cool, we never really got all the way in. A group of girls from the village walked passed us, smiling and giggling. “Molweni!” Jordana and I said hi in Xhosa. “Can you take my picture?” One of the girls asked. I snapped one photo of her and Jordana and one of just her. She wanted to see the picture on the camera after, something that gave her a good laugh. This was a new concept, locals asking the tourist to take a photo of them and not wanting any money in return.

Eventually we made our way back to the lodge where we just lazed around some more and talked to some of the people working at the lodge. Allan was an interesting guy. A volunteer from Johannesburg he was here building a new school for the community. It was interesting to talk to a white South African about race issues, political correctness or the amusing, sometimes refreshing lack of it here in S.A. Mostly though the rest of the day was spent doing some writing, reading and enjoying a few beers while the sunset over the beautiful river.

Dinner was yet again fantastic and the stars in the clear sky tonight were incredible. I haven’t seen stars like this since camping in Killarney. Tomorrow we planned on getting a bit more active and cultured as I bravely signed up for the “Village Womans Power Tour”. A tour in which we would take part in the daily chores of the village women. I looked at my participation as a kind of display equal gender rights. I’m sure the village men will just look and laugh.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply