BootsnAll Travel Network



Halifax, Nova Scotia

Well thats it the trip started and i find myself a transatlantic flight later in Nova Scotia.  Flight was good if uneventful – well thats what you want really but aint much to write about.  I recommend flying with Zoom if you get the chance, they were great, nice comfy seat with plenty of leg room, good food, good movies the time just flew (ahem sorry) by.

So got to Halifax around 4pm local time – the thing i noticed from the air was the colours.  Man i know i had been told that autumn is great here but that as a slight understatement the colours are reds. orange, yellows and greens and a variety of shades in between. 

So enough about trees – i can sense you are losing interest already – got into Halifax proper and the thing i noticed straight away was just how nice the people are here  – i mean even the passport control man was giving me tips on Halifax and sending me on my way with a smile – usually they just wave you through – i even had the greeters in the airport dressed in their tarten colours welcoming me to Nova Scotia.  So i think maybe this is just a one off – but no the airport shuttle driver goes out of his way on his route to drop me outise the hostel instead of the hotel down the road – and considering my pack weighs a ton and it had started to rain i was mega happy.

This happy friendly vibe continues through the hostel with the staff and the other guys staying at the hostel.  This hostel shoots staright into the top 5 of the best hostel i have stayed in – the one downside is no alcohol allowed – i can hear the shocks of horror from here – no alcohol you say – well its not so bad there are two pubs within a 20 sec stagger so i can forgive it on this one occasion.  But ok off the subject of alcohol and lack of – the hotel is clean, the rooms are spacious and the bunk beds dont creak and groan result.

So as its the first stop on the trip i have taken it pretty easy first couple of days – didnt see the point in getting burn out from museums in the first week – but in last couple of days i have walked all around Halifax from the harbour walk which is fantastic and considering they are having a freak summer here – its been really nice blue skies, not a cloud in the sky.  I also didnt fully research the fact that this is one very hilly city – think San Francisco and so huffed and puffed my way to the top to see the Citadel and almost fell back down when the cannon was set off at 12 noon – so wasnt expecting that.

 

 

Back to the freakishly happy and friendly Halogonians – they even stop their cars to let you cross the road – sometimes whilst in the middle of a very busy intersection and just wave you across.  Man i love this place – maybe i will just stay here??  hmmm

So its been gorgeous weather – sorry think its raining back in England right!!! and today (thats thurs) caught the bus out to York Redoubt which was part of the city’s defence system – and is totally dead and no one else around except for me and my new friend Pattie – you gotta love coming at the end of the season we had this entire historic park to ourselves so just kicked back and checked out the views which i have to say were awesome – pics to follow when i find a place to upload them.

 

 

Its such a small world – sat in the kitchen at the hostel eating my spag bowl – i know you were so totally interested in knowing that – but anyways the guy sat opposite me is from Poole that was scary enough – here i am in Nova Scotia chatting to Simon from Poole.  He has come with a car from Boston and so we are headed to Peggys Cove tomorrow and then further along the coast so should be a good day will let you know.

 



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *