BootsnAll Travel Network



Job hunting…

I guess I have to face the reality of the end of my lazy life for the last few months and get my butt into an office chair. I have to say 6 months were not enough to figure out what I want to do in “my life” work wise. I don’t know how to answer that question. Right now the question in front of me is, should I take on a full time position in a “good” company and get back on career track or should I do some consulting work. Have to figure out the pros and cons of both. So I guess I have grown up, I don’t like what I really do (work in corporate finance) but I’m good at what I do, make a living, survive, live, enjoy what money can buy (well in a limit). The question about what will jingle my bells each morning work wise is yet to be answered.


So, I’m a pretty good interviewee. I come across pretty confident and since I came back I seem to posses a little bit more pizzazz…I seem to be making jokes with the interviewers as well. Dangerous. Its good to have the confidence but I hope I can make the right decision as to what I want to do next.

Interviewing is so narcissistic; you talk about yourself so much that you feel as if you are in love with your own image. Yikes! I felt I was beating my drum a bit too much and couldn’t help laughing when finally at the interview at “Gap” I burst out at my seams when the guy asked me “why should we hire you”. I told him 10 good reasons why he should not. We had a good laugh and he said these silly HR questions would drive him crazy one of these days.

They even had a case study for me to do. Damn, it felt I was in school again. It was a panel interview. Strange for me to be on the other side as I had done plenty of panel interviews during my DHL days as the interviewer. It was fun then but now being under the scrutiny of 3 people at the same time was not exactly chummy. Especially, if 2 of them are supposed to reporting to me if I do get the job. This was a first, being interviewed seriously by junior analysts.

More than anything, it was the monkey suit that I had to wear for these shing dings which was annoying. I even had to shave my legs to get into my skirt suit. I never usually wear skirts to work but for some odd reason I bought this one. Must have been in those days when I was trying my very best to look like a girl and behave like one.

Anyway, all is well when it ends well. I wish I did not have to market myself. A concept that is so basic just gives me the creeps. Am no better than the other and to talk as if I walked on water just makes me uncomfortable. Wish this would end fast, as my patience is running out and before I know I will take the next job that gives me the offer. And that would be a disaster.

Well, the silver lining is that I found a place to live in Pacifica, which is about 10miles from “the city” and it’s close to the beach. Not that I will be swimming any time soon in the cool winter waters. Even with a wet suit it’s asking for trouble, but there are some who are permanent members of the dolphin club. It’s a quaint town, very romantic and I know I will be freezing my butt for the next few months for sure. I don’t even have to bet a dollar.

Well, so long, wish me luck and pray that I come out of the next interview with my sanity still intact.



Tags:

2 responses to “Job hunting…”

  1. Rimas says:

    Sosegaadd, the ‘GOAN WAY’, is ur only recourse. some finance guys i know maxed their immigrtion i’views by carrying a fancy pocket PC type thingy and tapping it silly over a solution they were asked to come up with. Also, it helps to know the company in great detail and telling them, (or better still, using that thingy to demonstrtate) how u could add to their figures. go figure.

    of course, dressing right helps, wear just the right smile for the company in Q. B4 signing on the dotted line, seriously ask urself”yes or no”. If it’s no, u got nothing to lose….push urself over the line, negotiate harder, ask for more, till you feel like saying yes. If it’s still no, don’t sign, and if it’s yes…well… haha.

  2. Madhu says:

    you are right…Sosegaadd, the ‘GOAN WAY’ is the right way to go. Actaully I’m very very relaxed and to be honest not really worried at all…whatever happens will happen.
    Not in a hurry…