BootsnAll Travel Network



I was good…

but not too good

So, this was my very first christmas celebration the traditional style…a tree, stockings and all that goes with making merry.

I got presents as well…so sweet. I did’nt expect any and it was just a wonderful feeling ripping all the paper (unrecycled) Christmas morning over some cinnamon rolls and coffee.


I’m one of those people who never had the need or desire to tape any TV shows to watch. I’m never into something to a point where I have to do it. There is nothing on TV that I have to watch, if I miss it, I miss it. There is point in me telling you this. An analogy. I don’t celebrate holidays just because they come around, never have. Need to be in the mood. Christmas is one such holiday for me. First and foremost, I don’t feel the need to celebrate a Christian holiday as I’m not one. But then I have never celebrated Hindu holidays without fail either. I can get into the spirit of the holidays if somebody else is right there pushing to do it. Or I have to be really in the mood to go out of the way to get into the spirit. I’m never consistent. One year I went to a lot of trouble to celebrate Diwali. It was great, but then after that I never bothered. Maybe it was because my ex-mother in law laughed at my attempts of making some Indian sweets the next Diwali. But this year it was different. I was with a family where Christmas is very important and the spirit rubbed on me as well. I have never bothered buying gifts only at Christmas time. If I feel like buying folks presents, I will whenever I feel like it. But then on the other hand I protest that I don’t want people giving me gifts on days like my birthday or Valentine’s but I really do want them to give me gifts. Spoken like a true girl eh!

This time it was different. My cousin’s-in-laws are very devout Christians and I have had the pleasure of their company for Thanksgiving and also Christmas. It was wonderful to be around a family and I think more than anything these holidays gives us an opportunity to connect back with family. The gift giving is a very commercial aspect of the holiday..but just one of the aspects. It’s not all centered on gifts. You would not know that if you see the parking lots in the shopping malls though. I personally think people do go crazy when it comes to gift giving. But, then if I ever do get that job at Gap I will push more about the retail industry.

All in all, I ate, I drank, I played with little Lexi (about a year old) and watched a bunch of movies. Did I tell you I ate a lot? Now that is my kind of holiday, one that revolves around food. We had a very traditional Christmas dinner but on Christmas Eve we did a international theme, Indian Hyderabadi Biryani, Swedish rolls, Mexican Enchiladas and then desserts from these lands as well. Ask me why, well me and couz are from India, Joy’s family is from Sweden/Germany/Anglo, and they have adopted couple of kids with a Mexican background. Thus, an international dinner.

Being around the family atmosphere reminded me of the chaotic times we had in the summer. We were never with our extended family over any major holidays, thus don’t know what the commotion would have been like. But I can imagine. Food. As always it revolved around feeding and being fed.

I was good this year…maybe not that good as I would want to be. Well, nobody is perfect. I never claimed to be a saint, but have to say I feel good this holiday season. The year started out lousy but it seems it will end well overall. I cannot wait to see what 2005 brings to the table. Am sure a few tears, lot more laughs, some good times, some sad, more traveling and a new love maybe?



Tags:

Comments are closed.