BootsnAll Travel Network



Vessel Arrival

American Tern.jpg

We have started counting days. 10 days till we leave. We are really looking forward to our vacation. I have a bunch of leads on vans in Christchurch. We should have one pretty soon after we arrive. I recently discovered that the World Rally Race NZ takes place while we will be in the country; another activity to put on our growing list.

The super bowl came and went without incident. Now the offload is in full swing and everyone is keeping very busy. The ship arrived a couple of days ago and it has been around the clock ever since. They are scheduled to finish offloading sometime tomorrow morning and begin loading a year?s worth of waste and retro back on.

The sun has started getting very low in the sky and the shadows are getting long. Notice the purple in the seaice in the lead photo; it is not a flaw in the photo, it really looks that way at midnight. The days of temps above freezing are now over. The weather has been starting to change and do weird things. The other day I walked out of my dorm on the way to work and saw the strangest thing. There was a sundog (a circular rainbow around the sun) and a rainbow at the same time. The point where it crossed was as bright as the sun. It almost looked like there were two suns in the sky. Up until today it has been very still; so still that the smoke from Mount Erebus drifts leisurely off to the horizon. Today on the other hand was very windy. I hope this is not a sign of bad weather to come. We are all keeping our fingers crossed for good weather. Bad weather means flight delays.

We had some bad news yesterday. My grandfather Wagner died. He had been struggling with cancer for many years. I have many great memories of Grandpap and he has always had a great influence on my life. He will be missed.




2 responses to “Vessel Arrival”

  1. Dusty says:

    Sorry to hear this Luke. I have never known either of my grandfathers. But I do remember and still miss my grannies.

  2. Jim & Betty says:

    Just talked to your dad. Grandfather Wagner’s memorial was Monday. Your mother came to AL and is now stuck in Atlanta airport–rain delay–on her way home. We were sorry to hear of your grandfather’s death. Keep your good news coming. Betty & Jim