BootsnAll Travel Network



Scott Base

Erebus Sunset.jpg

We ran all our errands in the morning yesterday and managed to fit in a hike up Ob hill before walking over to the Kiwi Base. There was kind of an erie atmosphere around the base yestrday. It was very still with a freezing fog hanging around. When the sun would shine through the fog it would create a sundog and make the air kind of shimmer with the feezing condensation.
Scott base is very space age. Much more homogenous and hi-tech than McMurdo. It is also much smaller. Only about 60 people. When we walked in the front door (which was, by the way, a walk-in refrigerator door ) there was a massive pile of red USAP parkas on the floor. Their store had some very nice maps and postcards but we didn’t have enough Kiwi dollars to buy all we wanted to. The bar was packed wall to wall with standing room only. It is understandable why they only open to us once a week. We stayed only a short while as we both had to work today. Next week we plan to X-country ski over on the sea ice.
Today at lunch we broke one of the “sacred laws of Italian coking and dining”. Well, we broke more than one but one that particularly irks luci and many of her country folk. Serving pasta as a main course. Lasagna has alway been considered a main course here but you will never find it served that way in italy. As lunch cooks we are not allowed a lot of space for creativity, plus we are somewhat limited by the lack of freshies. Most people here are “all meat and potatoes” any way. The fried chicken is always the first thing to go.
Tonight, we are going to check out the sauna. Enjoy the pictures. One is Mt. Erebus an the other is Luci on Ob hill.

Ob Hill Luci.jpg




2 responses to “Scott Base”

  1. LEE D. says:

    hey la gente siete incredibili! amo le foto e vedere il ghiaccio lo rende di sogno di volata attraverso su una slitta con una vela!(like a skateboard and a bed sheet!)
    i hop too be in new zealand in mid-feb, still if you see norring again ask him to e-mail me the fatty locations to wwoof at in NZ. we love reading your lives such a groovey hermano y hermana keep it up yo, L,

  2. zhora horgan says:

    im doing a scott base projet at school and i was wondering if u could tell me some of the history like:

    what the most people u ahve has stay there at different times of the year?

    how lonmg has scott base been around for was there a different name for it before it was scott base?

    what is the coldest temp ever in winter and the warmest temp in summer?

    if u could email these things to me it would be a great help as in finding it hard to find thing about scott bases history hora horgan