BootsnAll Travel Network



Slurping Up Words, Any Words

I’ve been home from South America for exactly three weeks now and have caught up, in most departments, to a regular life schedule.  But, I’m observing an exaggerated tendency about myself to just pick up almost anything written in English and spend time staring at it, turning pages.  Newspapers, magazines, junk mail,  and books, books, books..the more unusual, the better.

Surely, this is because I was immersed in the Spanish language for a third of a year and found only an occasional interesting volume on shelves of various hostel book exchanges to satisfy my reading needs.  News and information about home came only from short blurbs on computer screens and that supply was limited, as was the time that I had to access it.  I remember thinking long and hard about whether to spend  $8 apiece for American news magazines down there and usually I’d decide to pass them up.  So now, when I chance upon one, it appears to be very precious indeed and makes me want to devour it in one gulp.  This is time consuming.

This current state of being will pass.  I call it Eye Starvation because that’s the way it feels to be deprived of the visual impact of your native language for a long period of time.  I remember, in Hungary, during my round-the-world trip, shocking myself because I had bought and devoured a pink London Financial Times newspaper just because it was printed in English.  Dry as dust it was, but I read it all the way through.

Ironically, I still haven’t replaced my broken-stem (temporarily fixed with another shape) glasses and I think that makes them sit a little bit torqued, probably contributing to eye fatigue.  Certainly not so good for my future eyesight.  This may force me to make an appointment for a new prescription sooner, rather than later but it’s the $500 price tag that has me putting it off.

Because of this passive tendency to slurp up words rather indiscriminately, I’m definitely in Input Mode rather than Output Mode and that affects my blog writing as well as my  interest in taking the first steps towards cracking my travel journals to see what material I actually have, and if there might possibly be a book somewhere in there.  Writing is not coming to me as naturally, at just this moment, as reading is.  This would explain why the last few posts have been lurching along trying to set the scene for some comments on one of the books that I have recently read and which provided an Aha moment for me.  I would like to describe those new realizations but it is controversial material and so I intended to back into it by using some real-life examples.

Not all of those were accurate, I have now learned from a kind reader named KT, who tells me that unsecured wi fi networks, or domains, would have no effect upon my own computer’s reception.  (See my two previous posts.) Actually, I’m glad to learn that.  For use in the analogy, I was trying to illustrate how other people’s invisible actions can have an unrealized effect upon our own.  In the future, I think it’s best to just come right out and say what I am talking about and not try to set up anybody’s perceptions in advance….to convince you in advance….because if you disagree, you will disagree anyway.

Trouble is, that my current Input Mode is having a dilatory effect upon my Output Mode.

So, I shall cut to the chase here and explain that the amazing mystery book I mentioned in those posts is about vampires.  “So, what’ s the big fuss?” you say. “Many books, these days, are about vampires…..Anne Rice, Stephanie Meyer…  No big deal.”

But, this book is different because it exposes the reality behind psychic vampires or Energy Bandits, as I call them, and it explains that this is actually a real phenomenon, practiced by real people who are living all around us and who literally make up a true vampire population.  In fact, the book is not written for non-vampires, but is perhaps the first self-help book written for vampires.  Many of them do not know, at all, that their seemingly harmless need to be around folks who do generate a surplus of energy is caused by the fact that they themselves don’t have the ability to generate their own, but must take it from others.  It’s not blood from our necks that they want, but it is small doses of our lifeforce, nonetheless.  We usually never notice, but sometimes, someone will get greedy and then we fold up in a mysterious exhaustion until our system naturally regenerates our supply again.

So, this book provides much FOOD For thought and causes balls to drop into place, at least within my own mind.  I’ll try to do justice to it in a future post.  In the meantime…. I’ll keep on slurping….on written material, not your lifeforce.

Tags: , , , , ,



Leave a Reply