BootsnAll Travel Network



Newly November, And All Is Well. And Woo-Woo Wins!

For many posts now, I have been relying upon my journal of old writings which are finally able to see the light of day, thanks to this blog. These have been on the woo-woo side. Or, had you noticed?

I figured that they would be much more interesting than blog-style reports about the home front. My own daily life proceeds quietly with great purpose because I’m working steadily away on my second book manuscript and am now in the first read-through, after pulling all of the chapters together.  I’m hoping to have it ready to send to my copy editor soon.  Once that happens, things will become very purposeful, indeed, as the drill is quite clear from there on out.

Getting the material written is the most vital part of any book. Duh!?? Well, having something original to say, in the first place, actually ranks above the writing. Double Duh!

Then comes the first proofing and cleanup-up, so that everything reads well and correctly. In my case, that means taking out lots of commas and checking my spelling, plus just applying common sense. Have I stated things clearly enough? Do I really want to reveal myself to this extent? All the hard questions.

Then, getting trusted others to read the manuscript, with the general public in mind. How will this play in Peoria? In the case of this book, that’s anybody’s guess.

Next comes more time at the computer cleaning things up, clarifying sentences, catching more mistakes; whipping the whole into the best shape I can before sending the manuscript, electronically, to my professional copy editor.

This creates a lull in the writing stage, but allows more time for cover design. I’ve been thinking on it, all along, especially about what in the world to name this book. My titles always go through many morphings and manifestations before finally settling in to the magical one which will do the trick. At last, this has settled down to a real beauty of a name, which I’m happy with and can easily pronounce. Some potential titles run on for a whole sentence, eight or ten words long.

It’s such a temptation to write a mini-essay with the cover name and sub-title, trying to explain yourself and all your motives, right there on the spine. Begging someone to pluck your book off of the shelf in that literary beauty contest constantly conducted in a book store. At last, I’ve overcome that temptation. I figured out a two word title.

You may have noticed by now, that I’m not introducing this new book to you, yet. That will come; that will come. We are focusing on the process today.

Next, I’ll hire my cover designers. I happen to know exactly what I want it to look like. At least, I think I do. I’ve sketched my current idea and will send it to my artist to see how it comes out. If it doesn’t look so great, I have a second suggestion, or I’ll put it into his hands for new ideas. This is a back-and-forth operation which continues until everyone is pleased. My first book cover took many months between me and a graphics firm in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Second time around should be a dream.

Finally, my editor will return my manuscript, electronically, with all sorts of yellow slashings all over it. Those will be digital highlighter marks showing me things I need to change. I generally take her word for it and do as suggested. At last, with a finished manuscript… completed to the best of my ability…I will turn it into a PDF file and pop it off to Outskirts Press. My new publisher will take care of some of the inside design features which I had to do myself last year and that will also speed things up. Basically, once I send this manuscript out to the professionals, my role shifts to that of a tinkering onlooker.

Soon, I’ll consult with their marketing department for the widest possible commercial distribution. We’ll also concentrate on the creation of an audio book and an ebook version of this title, and all sorts of newly-developing things… such as those Espresso book machines, just now cropping up around the country.You’ll find them in all sorts of odd, unbooky locations, such as hotel lobbies, eateries, and regular stores. The size of an ATM machine, Espressos contain thousands of book titles. You drop your money in the slot and within minutes, your on-the-spot-printed book pops out. Cool! Just like those little plastic dinosaurs when we were kids. Double cool!

After the first of the year, my finished book will fly out of my hands, and into others. Yay! It’s a great feeling to finally let go of a creation and see what happens next.

Guess what? You all, my dear readers, have helped me greatly as a part of an informal marketing survey I’ve been conducting these past few months. You might have noticed that I have been alternating regular, everyday, “here’s-what’s-going-on-in-my-life” postings (like this one) with the woo-woo subjects, such as the Humanity Mankind series.

On one of my blog sites, I have a way to peek behind the scenes and see which ones get the most hits.

Bigtime, you are voting for the way-out ones. That pattern has been consistent for many months now. Well, this is a great relief, because my second book is very woo-woo. Yes, it’s New Age. Yes, it’s spiritual. And, if the public reacts the way you did, the book should do very well.

No, I don’t have 12 million hits a month, the way I saw, yesterday, that a city girl/country girl cookbook blog has. But that’s okay with me. I guess, everybody likes food way better than they like God! Just kidding.

However, I have “scientifically proved” that a great many of you are extremely curious about the sort of Ripley’s Believe It Or Not information concerning the Upper Levels, which I like to throw at you.

So, keep the hits coming. More soon.

Tags: , , , , , , ,



Leave a Reply