BootsnAll Travel Network



Sick bay in Ulaan Baator

I suppose one of the things that travelers fear the most, is getting sick when you are in a strange place : miles from the comfort of your own home and the proximity of your GP if required.

Well it has to happen if you are on a year-long sojourn, and right now our accommodation in this Guest  House resembles a sick-bay in the Crimea.

Oh we are not dreadfully sick, but enough to stop us in our tracks and opt for rest rather than expeditions. Still we have a room with a view:

We have traced the source of our discomfort to the “Horseshoes” we ate a couple of nights ago. Having run out of time to cook our own meal we opted for the extravagance of eating at a small restaurant nearby. As it happened they were about to close and all they had left were these ‘Horseshoes’ – a local favourite which resembles a Cornish pasty without the veggies. They were tasty enough, although on reflection we realised that they were quite oily.

During the night, Lboy8 decided to divest himself of the dinner – I guess his tummy was the most sensitive. The following morning we all awoke in varying degrees of well-being – all feeling decidedly jaded. Since then a few more have thrown up, some have a case of the trots and some are already recovering and the hardy ones are finally wilting. Not a happy troupe of warriors!

Actually I was rather hoping that we could have traced our ailments to a bug picked up in the Ger. Then I could have used that classic Toyota ad. expression – “Bug Ger!”, but that would have been stretching the truth a bit.

So here we are holed up in our ‘pension’

 

 and actually we are quite comfortable. As accommodation goes, this is one of our better spots. The view from our window is of the playground in our little square  We all have a bed each. (come to think of it, that isn’t quite true because RnR sleep on a couple of thick duvets on the floor!) We also have a small kitchenette with a small range-top cum oven. We also have our own toilet, bath and shower – and the toilet is a real sit-down job. How your appreciation of the basics sharpens as you travel!

We are very close to the city centre which has a large square as its focal point. It is flanked on one side by the Parliament building (or whatever it is called in this Communist state) and on the other side by ornate theatre and cultural buildings. All within easy walking distance.

     

The truth is, we are just a little wary of walking around in this rather lawless city. Oh we are not staying holed up in fear of venturing forth, but when you walk you are conscious of the repeated warnings from all quarters, to watch out for pick-pockets, don’t go out after dark etc etc. The Proprietor here spent half his time when registering us to warn to on no account open our door to anyone, keep doors locked at all times, don’t go out after dark and so on. Not quite the ‘Welcome to our country’ touristy thing you might expect.

This is the lock on our front door

We have had this unsavoury aspect of Mongolia re-enforced by practical experience. On our way back from the market, travelling on a very crowded bus, I lost my camera (out of it’s case) to a light-fingered pick-pocket. Later that same day a couple of fellow-residents got mugged in the main street in broad daylight. Just now Rach returned from a quick trip to the local ‘Supermarket’ and on the way back, observed a guy lift  a packet of cigarettes out of a street-sellers display, and move quickly on his way.

 

Rach thought about pointing out the theft to the stall-owner, but since he was busy urinating onto the side-walk from his sitting position) she felt the time was not quite right! So  these sort of things take the edge off free and easy exploring of the city.

Really it all boils down to local knowledge. I am sure the local, law-abiding citizens lead an untroubled life, knowing automatically the do’s and don’ts of the city; avoiding parts which could be troublesome and using transport means that they know are hazard-free. We in our ignorance blunder around, and sometimes have to learn the hard way. But it’s all part of life’s experience and the kids observe it all with varying degrees of understanding.

Well I started this off as a sick-bay report, but I am pleased to say that as I finish, there are only two resting in bed: the rest have bounced back to their usual boisterous selves. I am aware that there people covering us with their prayers, and we are conscious of His provision and protection on a daily basis. We are grateful to you all.

Tags: , , ,



3 Responses to “Sick bay in Ulaan Baator”

  1. anismanto Says:

    Phew! Long journey, pal!

  2. May Says:

    Glad to know the troops are getting back on their feet! May He continue to put a hedge of protection around you all… Shalom.

  3. Betty Says:

    I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Betty

    http://desktopmemory.info

  4. Posted from India India

Leave a Reply