BootsnAll Travel Network



Part Three: Touristas?

After a night like that..I needed a few days off…vacation can be tiring after a while. I traveled to Koh Samui (an island next door) a day later with two girls. One would think taking a short ferry ride there would be quick…but as everything in Thailand…it was no easy task. For two hours, it was basically a rush to each boat that docked, pushing your way through, hoping to get a spot. We finally arrived. The sun was still not out and hadn’t been our entire trip. The clouds and rain were relaxing, however, and we appreciated it for what it was worth. The next day we rented a jeep, Anthony our new Zealand friend in the drivers seat, and explored the island. The sun was finally out and we made it to Nuang waterfall.

What made this trek particularly interesting was our “tour guide”. I use quotations because he was just this random Thai guy in boxer briefs that adopted us as his own, and who we trusted, following him walking blindly into the bush. Okay let me start again…as we walked on toward this waterfall we passed many foreigners and visitors…nothing out of the ordinary…we thought we had reached the end of the trek and were about to swim, when a friendly Thai man waved us on and said there was better swimming farther up the mountain. We trusted this and followed him for another 30 minutes on a jungle trek with a very small path and no more tourists. I felt as if we were invading his territory, ducking under man made banana-leaf doors, trekking up farther and farther, None of us questioned his intentions…especially as we made it to the pristine, solitude swimming hole. He tore off his shorts and jumped ten feet from the tree above wearing only his Dolce and Gabana briefs. We swam through the caves, sunbathed, and jumped in like kids. It was time to go and he lead us back down to several view points. Well…he never lead us to our deaths or to be chopped up into tiny pieces (anyone see Touristas?)..but we at least expected him to ask for a tip. In the end, Marianne slipped on a rock on our way down (almost falling to her death, but merely bruising here foot thankfully). Thai man chewed up some plants and stopped the bleeding, carried her bags, put us in the back of a truck at the bottom and drove us to our jeep with many apologies, a smile and never asking for a penny. Only in Thailand. FYI- Marianne survived…that’s all you need to know.



Tags:

3 responses to “Part Three: Touristas?”

  1. grandma says:

    hi Kimmie–I absolutely love it all (yes, I could learn a thing or two from that old Thai woman who gave you the massage–Im jealous! Did she use her feet? Home is going to seem dull and boring! Love, Grandma

  2. mom says:

    That’s way cool. Guess I can say that now that you’re safe and sound!
    Did you ever find out what the plant was that was chewed up? Maybe it’s a miracle cure.
    These stories are amazing – what great memories! Like I said, you should write a book! Meanwhile, thanks for keeping us all entertained.
    love always, mom

  3. Ally says:

    Hahaha isn’t Koh Samui that honeymoon destitation that G.Focker ruins in Meet the Parents? I wish I was with you to go swimming in this waterfall! I remember going to the falls in Oz….these ones seem MUCH better :o)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *