BootsnAll Travel Network



Obama won?

I feel very disconnected and am sad to be out of our country on such an important election year. You will be happy to hear that I did vote before I left, however. I have been without internet for a few days though so I had to find out the results from a phone call (thanks d). I will hopefully be able to catch up on the coverage in the next few days. Even though I am not there, I am very proud to be an American today and always.

Since my last update, I traveled to Nakasawon (Pla’s hometown) with Li and Pla. We visited its first temple, experienced some Thai night life…complete with a Thai rock band and dancers and had authentic Thai style BBQ (Moogata). Moogata is a traditional meal where hundreds gather to cook outside at a small grill in the middle of your table. For 100 baht (about 4 dollars) you can cook and eat all the meat and vegetables you want. Eh my diet starts tomorrow. I also released a turtle into a the river for good luck and a long life…(tradition amoungst nakasawanians)

Some things I have started to call normal…

Having stray dogs wander through the halls and classrooms, hearing hello teacher 500 times a day, picking vegetables from my yard for meals, going for daily runs amoungst the buffalo (the kids join too sometimes), sporadically having internet and running water, having rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and getting blank stares in response practically everything I say…

Life here is simple, quiet, and lonely at times…but I am trying to stay positive to experience the different…



Tags:

4 responses to “Obama won?”

  1. Uncle Matt says:

    Hi Kim. Great pics. Looks like they drive on the wrong side of the road. No wonder its dangerous to drive. Your adventure sounds like lots of fun. Good luck with your chinese! I’m still struggling with that–maybe you can help me if you learn. Glad to hear you’re making new friends. Best wishes. Love, Uncle Matt

  2. Jessica says:

    hi there – hope you’re doing well! i have nothing interesting or funny to report. but i havent heard from you in awhile, hope everything is okay!

  3. uncle pete says:

    hay kimmie.same as jess!
    our moms say a ‘care package’ is in route. might even be there by now. i see you added more pics recently. jess and mike been spending lots of time painting at their new house-getting ready for thanksgiving holidays. if it’s any consulation [or even if itz not], i’ll miss the big feeds and family dinner gathering, too. i’m kind of stuck here for a couple of reasons, mostly cuz of my eye trouble. had hoped to get to beach area in mid-november, initially. but now it looks like just a couple of days before xmas, if even then. depends on condition of my vision and whether i’ll need treatment . my next appt. with retinal surgeon isn’t till dec. 22nd. bummer!
    glad you’re getting accustomed to your surroundings and necessary lifestyle. your students, and you, will benefit greatly from your time there. and you’re reducing that every day that goes by! hang in.
    looking forward to your next posting for your latest adventures!
    see you in a few months,
    uncle pete

  4. kim kim! How appropriate did that name turn out for you. I haven’t heard from you in a while…but I wanted to tell you I think about you all the time. I’ve been worried about you since there has been alot of things happening in thailand on npr. Nothing new here…going to interview at Vanderbilt to hopefully start my grad work next fall…Full ride tuition… let me know how you are…i should have been checking your blog more often.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *