BootsnAll Travel Network



Harry Potter and Jack Sparrow

The Thai students (not all) are some what kikiette (lazy) and kimo (talkative).  They attend class as they wish, skipping frequently (especially the bad ones) and there is no punishment for their poor behavior, nor is there a reward for attending (rather then the obvious “learning” aspect).  Teaching is not easy, especially the classes with younger students who understand very little…to make up for it they just talk over me in confusion.  They other day, however, I witnessed a completely different side to the students—all the students.  Every Friday, they gather in the hall in the afternoon and line up in rows, one by one, to receive teachings from the local monks who visit.  The monks stand at the front, spouting off prayers and directions.  Every student sits completely still, upright, legs crossed, right hand over left in their lap.  As the monk continues, the students change positions simultaneously, bowing their heads, uncrossing their legs, repeating, praying…their transition from loud, chatty teens to respecting, silent Buddhists was astonishing.  It reminded me of Harry Potter, Dumbledor at the front, the kids lined up in rows and in their respective mattium uniforms- white, blue, purple, yellow.

 One of the more interesting characters in line is Jack.   He is a younger student, maybe 12 or 13, and he lives behind me.  I will try and post a picture of his room.  He is an orphan and was brought to the school when he was younger.  The teachers on campus have taken care of him and the school has “adopted” him.  He comes to school as he pleases (which is very rarely because I have not seen him in my class yet), he knocks on the director’s door for money (an allowance the director gives him each time he goes to the city) and he accompanies Li and I to the markets.  He walks behind us, carries our bags and helps us bargain for a good price.  Although Jack knows very little English, he intrigues me.  He always wants me to take his picture and gets excited with a big smile on his face when he sees me and says my name.  He is a wanderer and somewhat of a scavenger—for food, rides, money…hence how he got his name—jack sparrow, the pirate of the school?  Maybe one day I will teach him a few things…until then, I will smile, wave, and enjoy his smile at the candy I give him.



Tags:

One response to “Harry Potter and Jack Sparrow”

  1. uncle pete says:

    hi,kimmiejean!
    i just read your latest and looked at more new pictures, some posted 32 minutes ago! is the one boy by himself the young boy ‘Jack”? he sounds like a savy ‘street kid’, good to have on your side. try to interest him in learning some english.
    maybe you could try what the monks do on fridays and have your class sit in rows with their legs crossed when they come in the room for class and see if they respond in any way similar to when they gather for prayers and teachings from the monks! madam dumbledor, perhaps?
    make your teaching a game for the younger ones, to help with the communication. maybe even establish your own ‘reward’ for attending class [don’t tell them it’z bribery]-something simple and unique?
    what is the photo of the little building on ‘stilts’? the kids rooms, your room?
    u.p.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *