BootsnAll Travel Network



Loy Krathong and Grilled Cheese

Loy Loy Krathong, Loy Loy Krathong…my students sang this to me last Wednesday, November 12th in honor of one of the most popular festivals in Thailand.  It takes place on the full moon day of the 12th lunar month.  The festival was not complete without kids dressed in elaborate, authentic Thai attire dancing and singing on stage, my matium 2/1 girls (six grade) taking my hand as soon as I arrived to play games, and stuffing my face with sticky rice and ice cream (2 scoops of ice cream in a hotdog bun with sweet corn and beans). I ended the night by lighting a candle, making a wish, and floating (loy) a lotus shaped vessel made of banana leaves (krathong).  Dozens of krathongs floated in the fountain, candles lit, incense burnt, each with its own significance.  Students, teachers, and all the residents Uthaithani were there for the celebration.  I also felt a bit famous as kids continuously came up to me asking for pictures (as I was the only westerner there). November full of cheer, Loy Krathong is here…

 

The next night our school’s head master set up a “pot luck” dinner for a few teachers and students…the 15 or so that live in campus apartments.  As you can guess, my dish was grilled cheese.  I thought since a.  I cannot cook, and b. I found American cheese at 7-11, that this would be the perfect dish.  No one had heard of it before, but after slight hesitation, it seemed to be a hit because by the end of the night they were gone.  Other dishes included Tom Yom (vegetable and seafood soup), curry, Thai style omelet, fish and vegetables fried, tofu pad thai, Chinese vegetables, and Thai style shiskabobs (they got a kick out of the English word for them) – basically balls of pork and chicken grilled on a stick…it was yet another night of coming together and celebration outside on a perfect evening and a full moon.

 Since I’ve arrived I’ve found many comforts here that have eased the homesickness a bit.  I rescued a turtle from the market that was being sold (most Thai people believe it is bad luck to eat them, but some Thai men think turtle meat brings them sexual good fortune).  I have adopted her and named her Josie (Jr.).  I have potted several plants and hung them outside my room.  The pots are made from coconuts my neighbor gave me to use.  Each week I gather fresh flowers from the garden for my kitchen.  The colors are brilliant and I find a new species each time I collect them.  I also finally made it to “Big C” (a mall with a Kmart type shopping center about 45 minutes from our school).  Although I love Thai food, sweets, and fruit, there is something about finding Kellogs Cornflakes, Nutella, Timtams, and spaghetti that makes my heart skip a beat. 



Tags:

2 responses to “Loy Krathong and Grilled Cheese”

  1. uncle pete says:

    it was really great to be there for a major festival, and to be included in the festivities! bet it made you feel special[and a member of the community] as well as ‘famous’. of course, most everyone likes to mug for pictures! the costumes the girls wore were rather colorful.
    one of the best parts for me would be the food-duh! even grilled cheese! i see what you mean by the colorful flowers. your pics reminded me of your grandad’s photos. he was fond of taking pics of flora and fauna
    that was a good idea to have plants and stuff hanging about-makes your small space in a strange land seem more like home and personalizes it. it looks like you’ll do fine the rest of your short visit. just remember all the kellogg’s cornflakes and big mac’s waiting for you when you return!
    i , for one, am certainly looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing the pictures you don’t post on your blog. what a memory to carry with you into the future!
    love,
    uncle pete

  2. grandma says:

    hey Kimmie–just read your blog and am glad to hear things are going better. I think you are making a great impression on everyone. You don’t need to envy us our recent snow flurries (!) melted as it hit the pavement. Uncle Mark and I sent off the package for you and the computer–I hope everything gets there ok and that the new computer will work better for you. Am really enjoying reading your postings and looking at the pictures…Love, GMa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *