BootsnAll Travel Network



Historical Sukhothai

I made a small trip up north this past weekend and met up with three girls I befriended during orientation.  Originally from Michigan, England, and California—the girls are now working in Lumphang and Nan (two Northern provinces).  The trip was complete with English dialogue (minus the hand gestures, simplicity, and constant repetition), exploring numerous (number unknown) ancient Wats (temples), Thai Karaoke mixed with interpretive dance and my first encounter with theft since I arrived…mai ben rai (no worries).  Old Sukhothai is the site of Thailand’s first city.  Its ancient ruins, dating back to the 13th century, are strewn throughout the park and displayed so every backpacker/tourist/traveler passing through can capture the city’s sites in one day via bicycle.  After making our way from the TR Guesthouse (a hostel (bahn pahk) which I highly recommend if ever out this way despite what lonely planet says)  we rented bikes for 30 baht a piece.  At our first temple stop, after locking  up and exploring, we came out just minutes later to find two bikes missing.  Honestly, it was almost expected…we were farangs…but thankfully we had not left a name or deposit, so for the remainder of the day we pegged it down the dusty roads and managed to cart 5 people between 3 bikes…Karma kept us from stealing them back.  It was a minor loss that will forever put that special touch on the story of Sukhothai.  We biked all day, visiting one Wat after the other…each having a different affect.  Out of respect, we knew it was time to call it a day, however, when the last one just seemed like the rest…shines a certain light of reality onto the situation—in the oldest Thai city, observing temples I could never imagine seeing, and thinking, “this 700 year giant Buddha looks just like the others”.  I did have favorites…Wat Suphin Hin (placed atop a hill overlooking the city) and Wat Si Chun (its Buddha’s pinky built larger than my torso) and I appreciated each one for its  spiritual significance, peace, and purity they bring to the country.

That evening we ventured to a local restaurant (whose desserts came highly recommended by lonely planet), but were disappointed to find that it was overpriced, poor serviced, and had small portions.  Maybe fame went to their heads.  With this observation, we decided to cumulate our own travel guide, but call it “overpopulated planet”—contributors are welcome.  We ended the night with Karaoke, (which is always accompanied with a few drinks and belting Madonna’s “Like a Virgin”) and having street market Phad Thai with the local artists at 3 in the morning.

Overall, the trip was a success.  My confidence in bargaining (which I did many times in Thai) and my confidence to travel have accumulated and I am ready to see what has been unseen. 



Tags:

4 responses to “Historical Sukhothai”

  1. kim kim,
    you sound like youre having such an amazing time. I just wanted to let you know that i was thinking about you as you enjoy the summer over there and as I sit in front of a fire….cold nights and white wine….i miss your voice…if you start to miss home think about the potato story….cluck cluck cluck cluck….anyways…come home soon and bring me a buddah statue! Have a good day today, as I go to sleep. HAPPY THANKSGIVING ill save you some turkey.
    ily

  2. uncle pete says:

    happy thanksgiving,kimmiejean,
    got your email-will respond shortly. sounds like you had a fun trip with your new friends. too bad about the bikes-thievery is universal, unfortunately! good you had some spare time to explore other parts of the country while there.
    need more pictures, of your trip north? i was told that there will be an attempt to converse with you today from the gang at 70th street-hope that comes off!
    later,
    u.p.

  3. Ally says:

    KimKim!

    I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I have been traveling the states a lot for work but nothing compared to what you are doing. It all sounds so amazing! I keep reading your stories and relating them to our aussie adventures 🙂 Anddd you do not know how jealous I am that you get to endulge in TimTams and Nutella!! 143 Pancake hahaha

  4. mom says:

    Hi, Kimmie,
    I love hearing about your adventures! Now that Thanksgiving is over, we’re gearing up for Christmas, and I’m waiting to see pictures and text about your trip to the beaches. You were always the communicator, so I’m not surprised that you are bargaining in Thai! It reminds me of our Europe trip, speaking French and writing our thank you notes in Italian. You’ll be quite the linquist before too long!
    Safe travels, love mom

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *