BootsnAll Travel Network



The Go Away Party

So our “Go Away” party (Claude’s term) started at 5pm on Friday, July 14th and ended at 3pm on Sunday, July 16th. Needless to say, what it lacked in planning, it made up for in spontaneity, and those who attended will attest that a good time was had by all. It reminded me of our wedding, which was the last time we had such an eclectic, diverse group gathered all in one place with Claude and me as the common denominator. Somehow, everyone just seemed to “click” and, by the end of the weekend, it was like everyone had known each other for years. Hopefully, it will attain the status of one of those “Remember when…” events that people talk about for years and eventually become legend.

Never one to miss an opportunity, I also included Claude’s 40th birthday celebration in the festivities and invited everyone we knew. The best part about this trip has been the gift-giving moratorium it has provided. (since we’re purging, we can’t accumulate more stuff). It has eliminated the need to think of creative, elaborate, expensive gifts and both of us have taken advantage of this. Simply fill in the blank:

Q: “What did you get _________ (Claude/Tamara/each other) for _______ (Mothers Day, Fathers Day, birthday, 10th Anniversary)?”
A: “A trip around the world!”

We’ll even be able to use this next year when we get back, except the answers will be things like, a new house, a new car, a new couch! Wow, aren’t we generous gift-givers!

Anyway, back to the party. The first guests to arrive were our friends, Marc and Nancy, who, since they missed our wedding, have vowed to never miss another one of our parties. Next, our friend Eric and his girlfriend arrived from Bermuda(!) and the festivities began. Night one ended at approximately 3am in the hot tub. Saturday dawned hot and humid and our potluck BBQ started at 3pm. At one point we counted 75 adults and kids in our backyard. The pool got a workout and Claude organized some classic kids games like bobbing for gummy worms and egg races. The adults enjoyed a rousing game of volleyball and food was plentiful. We took a break after dinner to celebrate Claude’s 40th birthday with a cake (decorated by the kids) and T-shirts made by Mom and the kids.

As the evening wore on, families with kids wandered home and Luann’s jello shooters made an appearance. They were so popular that she went home and made another round out of pudding. As the crowd dwindled, those who remained continued the festivities and the evening culminated with BBQ chicken wings, baked brie and champagne at midnight after a highly competitive game of pool basketball. Claude was determined to stay up all night on his 40th birthday and about five of us attempted to support him in his quest. However, by 3:30am, we had all had enough and left him on his own by the fire. He claims he lasted until 4:30am before finally succumbing to his advanced age and crashing on the couch.

Sunday was a very slow day. The remaining couples helped us clean up and we lazed around the pool for the rest of the day. The last couple left at 3pm and we collapsed from exhaustion. This had definitely been one for the history books. Thanks to everyone who attended and, to those who couldn’t make it – check out our pictures on our web album



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *