BootsnAll Travel Network



departure looms

my departure is a mere three and a half weeks away today. i have managed to avoid going back to work for nearly one week now and am just waiting to resolve a few final details there.

here is the list of preparations over the course of the last month or so:
1. packed up all clothes but what i’ll use on the road and for the time being before i go (which amounts to a couple pairs of pants, shoes, socks, unmentionables, shirts, sweaters, jackets for rain and dry)
2. dropped off car at parents’ house for safekeeping
3. survived the holidays with minimal stress
4. arranged to sublet condo through property manager
5. arranged a mover and storage space for my belongings
6. got all immunizations (SF adult immunization travel clinic – recommended), including shots for tetanus, polio, flu and yellow fever (those hurt like hell). then i received in pill dosage azithromycin for Delhi belly (The Trots/travelers diarrhoea), mefloquine for malaria and vivotif for typhoid. i declined rabies shots due to the expense and probability that i won’t encounter many mangy, rabid creatures along the way any more so than i encounter them at home.
7. arranged for a friend to take care of my pets next year. this was a big worry but i think it’s going to be fine.
8. purchased the gear
9. reviewed the Travel Insurance Policy (mine is with World Nomads)
10. set up auto pay for remaining accounts (phone land line, cell phone, utilities)
11. canceled US health insurance policy and registered the car non-op
12. canceled subscriptions to magazines
13. signed up for couch surfing services at Couchsurfing.com
14. consulted with friends who’ve been to where i’m going and gotten many, many good tips
15. continued endless guidebook and online research on places/lodging/food/transport/etc.
16. booked hotels in the first two places i’ll be (trinidad and havana); cancun lodging is next up
17. arranged for a carnival costume to be made for me in trinidad through this outfit http://www.hartscarnival.com/Default2.aspx
which i’ll wear there then send home to wear again another time
18. loaded up the iPod
19. started planning the farewell fete

i’m sure there is more that i’ve left off here/forgotten about, but those have been the main goals leading up to the final days before i leave town. most things like collecting the gear and arranging my home sublet have taking AGES and AGES to manage, but it seems this stuff is all under control. i’ll do a complete list of the gear i’ve acquired/gathered in a separate post. it will likely change as the reality of just how heavy all this crap is going to be when it’s on my back, but for now i think i’ve got at least the minimum stuff i’ll need at least for the first couple months of traveling.

mainly, i’m just REALLY excited to get on the road and start the odyssey.



Tags:

6 responses to “departure looms”

  1. julie green says:

    HOT MAMA!

    Wheew! Looks like this is fer reals and that you have seriously buttoned it ALL up like only you can me lady. If you haven’t booked Cancun yet, don’t! Skip the tourist trap and head 20 miles south and stay in Tulumn at the Maya Tulumn. YOU WILL THANK ME! $40 per night and the world is yer oyster! So have one for me!

    Keep on bloggin’,

    xoxoxooxoxooxox Super Jewlez

  2. Renee from San Diego says:

    Have a safe and amazing trip…Cant wait to read everything along the way!!!!

  3. Nicky Nitro says:

    You are a ROCK STAR.

  4. lu weas says:

    rockin like a star with a little headdress attatched to it, flying like a butterfly, stinging like a bee.
    😀 happy travels boots
    xoxo
    ames,

  5. Bette Gorton says:

    You go girl! Gotta tell ya, I don’t know where you get the guts, Baby, but you sure do have ’em. Have a marvelous time, great experiences, and stories to bring home.nrLove ya, Bette

  6. Hi, Hon,
    You’re off and running. I’m jealous, but I do like my good bed!
    I can’t wait to see you in your Carnival outfit. Probably will be way too big after tromping around the world.
    Love,
    Momma

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *