BootsnAll Travel Network



I fought the law… and I won

So it is safe to say I had my first true African experience this morning. On my way to Jomo Kenyatta Airport in Nairobi my taxi driver was pulled to the side just outside of the entrance. I figured due to the increased tension in East Africa right now that this was a routine random check. 4-5 police officers surrounded the car. One reviewed his stickers on the car and another took his ID and other forms of proof that he was in fact legit. Another officer came by my window and tapped on it. The window didn’t work so I opened the door. He asked me…wait no, he actually TOLD me I wasn’t wearing my seat belt so he would have to take me down to the police station where I would have to pay a fine.

I told him I could not as I had a flight to catch in 2 hours. He wasn’t very confident in demanding that I get out of the car so I took it that he only wanted a bribe from me. I reached into my pocket and pulled out $5 USD. His eyes lit up and helped himself inside the taxi to finish the deal. After I was ready to hand it to him suddenly one of the other officers said something to him in swahili and he immediately got out of the car and my driver was given the ok to continue on.

Well, apparently I handled the situation well. I took the bribe money and held it in the air and told him he could have it an in doing this it caused civilians, other officers and his BOSS off in the distance to see it so they told him to not take it. My driver said it wasn’t that they didn’t want him taking my bribe but it was too blatent and they could have gotten in a lot of trouble.

So, my first dealing with corrupt officials ended well for me. I have to admit after that I was feeling very confident in my travels.

Not so fast though

I arrived in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia this afternoon. I don’t want to post too much because I haven’t really had a chance to explore the city and want to give it a fair shot. Tomorrow is Christmas day so I decide to use it as another travel day and will be heading north to Lake Tana and the town of Bahir Dar by hired vehicle. I won’t be back to Addis for a little while.



Tags: , , , ,

6 responses to “I fought the law… and I won”

  1. marisa says:

    ah yes, gotta love the random police checks!!! a vehicle i was in on Zanzibar got that treatment, too…worst part was that it was a bunch of mzungus (a tourist truck, basically, for a spice tour), and it was extremely sketchy. our guide was able to get us by after a while, but it was extremely sketchy.

    oh, and if you want to give a bribe, do something like shake his hand with the money in your hand and do the transfer like that…not so blatent. glad to hear that it went well for you, though.

    have fun in ethiopia!!!

  2. Vinny Tafuro says:

    I was at Panera today and to deal with slow service when ordering a Cappuccino Chip I.C. It only cost me the same as a bribe in Kenya!

  3. Paula says:

    Wow! So much excitement all ready! Glad to know that you can handle yourself…Take care! LMU…

  4. ash says:

    lmao! You did well!

  5. Carlos Avila says:

    Word joe. I don’t know if u remember when we talked about 3rd world countries and how Cops work there.they don’t get paid well etc,etc and they do wht they have to do to 2 . I guess. But Good luck son becareful have fun!!. Peace

  6. daisy says:

    nice!!

  7. Denise Hellman says:

    Joey,

    You better be careful, we miss you here.

    It sounds like your having an awesome time. What an incredible life you are living……keep it going, I love the blogs!

    Be safe,

    Denise

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *