BootsnAll Travel Network



Hong Kong Nights

After a pretty rough 12 hour bus ride from Chiang Mai I arrived in Bangkok this morning around 6am. Luckily my stomach held up pretty well. It was supposed to be a VIP bus but they pretty much lied to us and dressed up the picture used to sell it. I thought it was going to be worse but I eventually ended up sleeping for half the trip. The bus dropped us off at Kaosan Rd. and I got a discounted room to sleep in for a few hours before heading off to the airport.

I arrived in Hong Kong at 6:15p and made my way to Kowloon. There are 2 main districts, Kowloon and Hong Kong Island. The cheaper accommodation is here and mostly located in 2 large buildings that house guesthouses, hostels and other assorted accommodation. From the outside this place looks terrible and so far it doesn’t get much better on the inside. Cheap accommodation is difficult to come by in Hong Kong seeing as though property is so expensive so the bed you do get usually isn’t anything special. I have a room that is literally the size of a decent walk in closet. I have a TV and a fan but no room to move around. The bathroom is shared out in the hallway. I am going to make my way to the other building and see if I can find something at least a little better. I can’t spend 4 nights in a box. I am not quite that hardcore.

Hong Kong’s biggest and just about only pull for me was its skyline. I caught a glimpse of it as we pulled out from under the tunnel on the way to Kowloon. It took my breath away. I love skylines and have been waiting to see them for a long time much like the Petronas Towers in Malaysia. Nothing… and I mean NOTHING beats Hong Kong’s skyline. I can’t even give New York City the credit of coming in a close second because it just wouldn’t be fair to Hong Kong. It is so bright and so long and so tall and so beautiful. Bright blues, neon greens, reds and whites, sharp color patterns, lights bouncing off the channel, mountains in the background… it is simply incredible! It is a skyline lover’s grand canyon and one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Here are a few photos that don’t even begin to give it justice but enjoy anyway!
I haven’t changed the size so they are pretty big files and it may take a few minutes to load.



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *