BootsnAll Travel Network



Good guys go to heaven, bad guys go to Pattaya

Last Thursday I had met a couple of girls who are teaching in Bangkok but originally from the Philippines. We went out for drinks and realized we both had plans to head down to Pattaya this week. They were going for the weekend on holiday and I was planning on meeting a co-worker of mine. They headed down early in the morning and I followed at around 12pm. I was really excited about having some people to go to Pattaya with because like much of Thailand it isn’t exactly a place where you want to be alone unless you are looking for something in particular. Pattaya was originally a rest and relaxation port for soldiers during the Vietnam war so over the last few decades it has kept its reputation as a place to come and let loose, relax and pay for just about anything you want. The city is about 10% beach town and 90% red light district. Of course you can go out and have a good time while avoiding the ladies and the lady boys but what is the fun in that?

Lyndaile, Jeaneane and I headed out to Walking Street. Walking Street is a stretch of gogo bars, clubs and restaurants that stretches a couple of kilometers along the beach street. It is quite a spectacle. You get offers from both sides of the street for unique sex shows, terrible drink specials and other interesting night activities. There are side streets along Walking Street that seem to specialize. One road may cater to those looking for Russian or eastern European women and the next street may cater to the gay crowd. The make up of patrons to Walking Street is amazingly diverse. You have your typical 40+ single western men coming to meet their dream Thai girl and take her home with them, you have your backpacker groups that come to check out the attraction, tourists from around Asia, Africans, Muslims and strangely enough… families with young children. It is just as much a “sight to see” as it is a place to actually take advantage of the debauchery.

We eventually made it to Club Lucifer where we spent 2 nights dancing for several hours. The 3 of us did check out one gogo bar but I have to admit I was less than impressed. After a great weekend in good company the girls had to head back to work on Monday so I have been left alone in Pattaya until Mark shows up. The hotel reception keeps asking me why I have no ladies with me when I come home at night so that gives you an idea of what is the norm around Pattaya.

I don’t want to dwell on it so I will make this fast. I got robbed my first night in Pattaya. They made off with my Ipod and my emergency cash. I am in high spirits and expected that at some point I was going to let my guard down and someone was going to take advantage. I would rather not get into details other than that I am over it and just miss my music now.

I am as lost as I have ever been as far as what my next step is. I have no where special I need to be at anytime other than that I wanted to head into Cambodia soon. Lyndaile invited me back up to Bangkok to hang with her for a few more days before she goes on holiday again next weekend. I may do that since Songkran (Thai new year) is coming soon and it would be ashame to miss it. The festival is supposedly really fun and the entire country gets out their water guns, buckets and balloons and has a 3 day water fight. Regardless, I will be leaving Thailand shortly and moving back to the third world. I am pretty excited about it. Thailand has been great, not so great to me personally but I have found the enjoyment through all the tough times.

Hip-hop at Club Lucifer

Morning after dancing all night, Lyndaile and I… Don’t I just look so excited?



Tags: , ,

2 responses to “Good guys go to heaven, bad guys go to Pattaya”

  1. RIGA says:

    getting robbed = street cred

    you are a much cooler person then when you left

  2. Rachel says:

    You look all skinny… are you eating? Don’t make me worry about you.

  3. Anne says:

    Shitty losing the IPOD… while traveling money can be replaced… but, no tunes… that sucks! As long as you’re having a good time tho… no worries!

    What does your shirt say?

  4. Paula says:

    I can’t even comment…. :{ ………..
    BTW: Storm 1-5 Last game was kick ass tho! 66-43
    Take care!!!

  5. Boston Bill says:

    I think your checklist should be finished now. you did the getting sick on the road,missing your bus stop,the accident, now the getting robbed. Now it is just going to be all good. Concentrate on more of those “girls who smile” pictures. At least it sounds like you didn’t get hurt, still have plastic as well as your passport. Like they stay stuff happens, hopefully it will be good stuff from here on in.

  6. ELLA says:

    Remember ’bout the stockings that i told you… put your money in it and wrap it around your belly…. but anyways i’m glad u ok… U take care buddy…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *