BootsnAll Travel Network



Giving back

There are many times while traveling that you feel as though all you are doing is taking from the communities that you visit. So much tourism and there seems to be a sense of lost tradition and culture. Sometimes it is important that you give back to the people who treat you so well while traveling.

Earlier this afternoon while going to pick up my laundry from a nice old lady on the street side I came across a group of 3 Lao boys trying to make fart noises with their limbs. 2 of them were waving their feet in the air while cupping the back of their knees and the other was doing the traditional arm pit motion. None of them were able to make any sort of noise come out. I decided it is time to sit down and really interact with the locals. I showed the 2 boys trying the leg farts that they need to lean back on their butts a little bit to get more leverage and that the faster you move your legs the more likely you are to produce a fart noise. I had both of them doing it right in no time. After that I moved on to the easier armpit fart and showed them a series of loud obnoxious noises. This entire time there were 2 adults across the street laughing at the situation.

In the end I left all 3 boys with the ability to make fart noises as much as they want.

Mission accomplished.

On another note. Happy Cinco De Mayo. I hope everyone is partaking in one of my favorite holidays. Unfortunately, I don’t have any Mexican food in Luang Prabang but I have found a nice happy hour spot that has tequila so I will be joining the older American couple I met on the boat for some fiesta time.

The 3 of us hired a van and an English speaking driver to take us through the north of Laos for 2 days and dropping us off in a town called Vien Viang about halfway between here and the capital city of Vietienne. Along the way we will stop in a few villages and see several sites that were heavily bombarded by American forces during the Vietnam War (or American War as the locals refer to it). This all starts tomorrow at 7:30am. I’m not sure of the internet situation along the way so I may not update for a couple of days.



Tags: , , , ,

0 responses to “Giving back”

  1. ash says:

    ha. hysterical. Glad those boys can walk away with a new skill!

  2. Rcon Pascua says:

    Just make sure they didn’t turn out to better fart noise maker than you are! 🙂 Haha!

  3. Brooke says:

    hilarious 🙂 I’m glad you could put your skills to good use.

  4. RIGA says:

    finally, your years of practice pay off……

  5. Nick says:

    Nice job on the fart noises there Joe. I’m sure those boys will forever be in your debt as well as the passers by who were able to witness your teachings

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *