BootsnAll Travel Network



And on computer #2…

Jaimi is right now adding our post from yesterday on computer #1(we had to compose it on paper over wine last night since we did not have a computer), so I thought I would come over and add a posting from today!

So, after finishing our bottle of wine last night, we climbed into bed, and before Jaimi could ask me if I had locked the door, I was asleep (of course).  This morning we woke up just in time to make it for breakfast (Kevin did not – he slept for about 14 hours straight, and he’s the one that DID sleep on the plane.)  Jaimi and I went over for a lovely breakfast, save a pair of other hotel guests who started out friendly enough, but became rather annoying with the course of our meal (we realized this after we agreed to have dinner with them tonight; don’t worry, though, we agreed right after breakfast that we would probably get stuck out and about somewhere and not make it home in time to meet them.)  So with that plan in mine, we were able to fill in some details with the help of our very nice and friendly hotel owner who gave us a few beach and dining suggestions, and a pretty good map to help us on our way.

 So, with 2 bags full of supplies, we headed out for a day hiking along the coast and playing at the beach.  It was a great success with rocks to climb on, beautiful remote coastline and beaches, a little wildlife (beautiful butterflies, maybe African penguins, and a big turtle on the side of the trail.)  Unfortunatley, about 2 hours down the coast, we realized with all of the supplies we brought (and let me tell you, that backpack was heavy!) we did not manage to bring a crumb of food or drop of water!  Very smart!!  But we carried on without despair, hopeful we would be rescued by Dieter’s Wurst Wagon at our destination beach, reputed to have bad curry wurst but plenty to drink.  I guess the wurst wasn’t selling, though, and Dieter had to pack it up back to Germany, because he wasn’t there!  Fortunatley, our haggard appearance and pathetic pleas got us a couple of cups of water at a private beach party nearby.

Rehydrated, we spent a couple of hours in the surf and sand (and i really mean sand; we didn’t have any beach towels either.)  But had a great time and are well on our way to improving the white leg condition.  Finally, hunger pains and a little bit of haze compelled us to head back up the trail.  Singing “The Ants Go Marching” and “5 Little Monkeys” enabled little legs to pick up the pace on the way back.  At the car, we changed clothes and drove to our next stop for dinner, Barnacles, on the Beach…cheap drinks, great food, and another pleasant evening…

Okay, running out of internet minutes, and we must get back to hotel, where we will hopefully not run into aforementioned hotel guests/supposed dinner companions..  Wish us luck. 

 



Tags:

One response to “And on computer #2…”

  1. tdiddy says:

    Wow, sounds exciting!
    Read the Jaimi’s message also and are excited there are real live Africans there!! Glad to hear you are enjoying your travels, though sorry to say Jill, you are NOT moving to Africa!! My husband would be appaled at your lack of preparedness on your hike! No food or water. I sent you with power bars! Anyway, great to finally hear from you guys.
    Keep us up to date and enjoy.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *