BootsnAll Travel Network



Salta and around

We´ve been in and around Salta and the province de Jujuy for the last 10 days or so.

With a girl we met on the plane in Puerto Williams, who we randomly bumped into in our hostel in Salta, we hired a car very early one morning and headed up to San Antonio de los Cobres following the Tren a las Nubes line (I had hoped to go on the train, but it was suspended in 2005 and hasn´t started again).  The road climbs up from about 1,000m above sea level to 4,190m at the Polvorilla viaduct – an impressive bit of engineering.

El Gol a las NubesEl Polvorio Viaduct

It was then across ripio (gravel) road in our little car that let in all the dust, to some salt flats (Salinas Grande).  These were impressive and the surface of them changed from soft, on the edges, to hard, like ice, in the middle.  We walked to some piles of salt, whih looked quite close, but it took us a good 45 mins – tricks of the atmosphere.

Salinas Grandes

From there it was down a very windy road (in the dark, with brakes that started to smell) to Purmamarca (famous for its coloured mountains – not that we could see anything), where we stayed the night.

I had a lovely brithday tea, llama – which tastes like pork, Nick had goat & I had food jealousy!

The following day we saw the coloured hill in the sunrise (it is quite small & I think that the photo looks better than it did in real life!) and drove the Quebrada de Humahuaca, which has more colourful mountains & little towns, we really liked Tilcara, but Humahuaca felt like it was there just to serve the tourists, before heading back to Salta.

Purmamarca



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *