BootsnAll Travel Network



Monte Fitz Roy

Five days out in the moutains, but a very lazy five days!

We set out from El Chalten “the capital of trekking in Argentina” in slight drizzle towards Cerro Torre – it was the type of rain that makes you wetter than you realize and we rolled into Campamento de Agostini rather wet round the edges.  We set up camp and huddled in the tent, hoping the weather would clear.

Luckily it did at around 10am the following day and for the next four days we had great views of Cerro Torre & Monte Fitz Roy.

Cerro TorreMonte Fitz Roy

The problem with the walking around the Fitz roy area, is that it quickly gets into very technical terain, so the days are quite short between campsites (c.3-4 hours including stops) and all of the walks can be done as day walks from El Chalten.  This didn´t give us much motivation, so istead we relaxed – 2 nights at Campamento de Agostini, soaking in the views of Cerro Torre and then a change of camp to Campamento Poincenot to soak in the views (and soak up the sun) of Monte Fitz Roy. We prefered the walking in Las Torres (Chile) to here, generally because there was more of a purpose there & it was more challenging.

The walk up to Lago de los Tres – the view point for Fitz Roy – is hard work (450m  of steep ascent) and as Las Torres there are some sights heading up there in all sorts of footwear. 

It is certainly getting colder at the moment, one night is got down to at least 1.5ºC in the tent – lots of frost on the ground in the morning, brrr, and the tents not the in the trees had a nice layer on them too!



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *