BootsnAll Travel Network



Easter Island (part 2)

All of the moai on Easter Island were toppled by the 1800s and the ones that are now standing are restorations/resurrections.  They are huge – much bigger than expected – and it always surprised me how big they were whenever we walked up to a toppled or standing moai (and this is one of the smaller ones – a couple in the background are probably close to 10m tall).

Ahu Tongariki

We visted all of the main sites on the island and my favourite place was the quarry (Rano Raraku) where all of the moai come from.  There are c.400 still lying around in all states – to outlines of ones to be carved to some standing half way down the side waiting to be transported to their final resting place (never to make it obviously!)

Rano Raraku Quarry

We watched sunrise over Tongariki – 15 moai (the most on the island in one place).  Beautiful, although I think I prefered sunset over Tahai – with more spectacular reds and purples.

Sign Sunset over Tahai

Although having said that, we couldn´t complain too much about the view from our tent…

Mihinoa Campsite Sunset from campsite

 



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *