BootsnAll Travel Network



The Most Difficult Part-What Did I Get Out of This Trip?

I have experienced a wide range of emotions on this trip.  The sadness, outrage, thrill and the joy all converged to create the perfect storm of a lifetime experience. 

A lengthy trip on my own to learn about my ancestry was an invaluable lesson for me.  Traveling through so many countries starting with Israel which grew so much because of the Nazi experience; walking the streets of Thessaloniki Greece with guides who were so well versed in the rich history of Sephardic Judaism in that part of the world; understanding the motivation of the City of Thessaloniki who wanted the centuries old cemetery removed for the expansion of the University; the actions of the Nazi leadership to win over the city by desecrating and removing the cemetery; the 19 train transports that took 50,000 Jews of Thessaloniki to their demise; Hitler poisoning the King of Bulgaria when he refused to turn over the Jews of Bulgaria; the brutality of the Hungarian people to the Jews of their Country, the very very long train ride to Poland that I did in comfort of a seat on the railcar, but knowing my ancestors were crammed into cattle-cars with no sanitation, heat, ventilation or humane treatment in the four or five day train transports to the death camps; the inhumanity of Auschwitz-Birkenau; and the complete eradication of 3,200,000 Polish Jews.  The absurdity in Krakow, Poland of making the Old Jewish Quarter into a huge tourism industry and their celebrating all the Jewish Holidays and festivals without any Jews remaining in the Country. 

I have seen and learned so much.  The Holocaust education that I received is one that I want my adult children and all my friends Jew and non Jew alike to experience and grasp.  Everyone must see what really happened to perpetrate a psychosis that thrived on such a massive scale.  I think that dealing with the Holocaust is a lot like Ground Zero of the World Trade Center.  Most people in California and likely everywhere else outside of the immediate area of New York City that have not seen the World Trade Center before, and now the huge hole in the ground will ever truly grasp the destruction of 9/11 that resulted in the death of 3,500 people.  I feel based upon comments that I heard from people about my trip, that they have a better understanding about 6,000,000 Jews and many others who were Russians, Poles, Gypsys, Homosexuals and others that perished under the Nazi Psychosis in their quest to prove their crazed concept of Arian superiority. 

Going back to Israel on the second trip back in the same month certainly hardened me to the way of life in Israel.  It is not an easy life in Israel when so much of the world faults them for everything they do.  The wars they fight to defend themselves are accused of responding with disproportionate force, the politics of the world always voted against this little country and the oil weapon used against them force Israel to get their oil from a crazy guy in Venezuela.  The Israeli people know their history is rooted in the Holocaust which is not the end of their fight for survival.  Israeli people cope with the pressures of being surrounded by hate of their enemies that will only be satisfied if these enemies can push every Israeli in the sea.  You feel very safe in major cities like Haifa and Tel Aviv, but there are guards at the entrance of every restaraunt, cafe, hotel and shopping mall on the lookout for terrorism.  Its a hard reality of life, but a spectacularly beautiful country that blends high tech and modern city life with the old world.  This is a country that gets half of the hi-tech funding dollars that is allocated to the entire eastern hemisphere comprised of all of Europe, the United Kingdom, etc.  A country so tiny, but an incubator for outside of the box thinking and invention.  It is really over insurmountable odds that this tiny country has a thriving economy as cars pull into gas stations to pump $11 per gallon equivalent gasoline. 

My views are indeed proud of the accomplishments that both Israel and the world have made since the horrors of the holocaust.  But it is a sad realization and should elicit a sense of outrage that the hatred and the genocide continues with mass murders under the guise of nationalistic feelings in the former Yugoslavian breakaway republics of Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Serbia ten years ago.  And even worse is that it has been going on for more than the past five years continuing now in the Darfur region of The Sudan in Africa.  That same ethnic cleansing is happening and we are not doing enough to express our outrage.  Chinese merchant ships are finally turned away for the first time from The Sudan when it becomes evident that the ships are delivering weapons from China, but there is no outrage about the mass exterminations going on there now.  This is a genocide emergency with hundreds of thousands killed, and more than 2.5 million displaced from their homes.  Those weapons will find their way back into the troubled areas.  And where is the true pressure on Iran who openly acknowledges their working at a furious pace to complete their nuclear program which will be the culmination of their intentions to dominate the Middle East and follow through on their threats to eliminate Israel as a Country.  And what about these others places like the City of London where the Mayor there now wants all references to the Holocaust removed from the public school curriculum.  What have we really learned as an educated society?

Why can’t we learn from these lessons to be outraged enough to make a dent in the evil still going on today.  We all need to be more articulate and proactive to stop the hate and genocide going on right under our noses.  Get mad and do something to express that outrage.  See the attached website which Darfur is a major focus of the United States Holocaust Museum:

http://www.ushmm.org/conscience/alert/darfur/pdf/darfur.pdf



Tags:

One response to “The Most Difficult Part-What Did I Get Out of This Trip?”

  1. Mike Jaffin says:

    Joe-

    Thank you so much !!!!!!

    Your travelogue is fascinating and a tremendous eyeopener for us stay at homes.

    When I was twelve and pre Bar Mitzvah classes I happened upon a book called “the Black Book”- a tome which detailed the Holocaust. A major life shock-I am a member of a group the world hates and allows to be methodically and institutionally exterminated.

    Why hate the Jews ? To the point that they can be exterminated without any qualm ? Are Jews a nation of pillage and rape barbarians that take no survivors ?
    I think not.

    What have WE done the the goyim ? They go to their boring services of worship- we go to ours.

    We achieve- but we do not in any hinder their achievement.

    To this day 50 years later- I do not get anti-semitism.

    Thanks again for the pool+hot tub loan, and telling us how to clear credit.

    mike

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *