BootsnAll Travel Network



San Diego: there are no bad experiences

People keep asking me what I’m doing setting off on this months-long backpackin’ excursion across the sea, what it is I hope to accomplish with this trip — in essence, why, why are you going? And my best and only response is… well, why not?

I don’t want to get into how this question itself is pretty “American”, and how hard it is to leave this cultural cradle I will always call home — how hard it is to try to view life with more of a citizen-of-the-worldy wanderlust, especially when I had a cush job and happy lifestyle among many great friends in perhaps the finest city on Earth. Nope, I don’t want to get into that.

Instead, I’ll just say that yes, I quit my job, moved out and put my stuff in storage. And here I am… ready to go. Almost, anyway.

But I really have no great motivation to do this, except to do it. The only reason to go is to continue the life journey — there are no bad experiences, only good stories.

It’s not like I’m really seeking adventure and excitement (for the Jedi craves not these things) — but then again, I ain’t no muthajabbin’ Jedi anywayz. So yes’m, p’rhaps I may find some adventure and some excitement OUT THERE — or at least some hijinks and haha’s. Or maybe some serious cultural resonance. For sure some scenic scenery I ain’t ne’er seen befo’e. And some fun folks, foreign linguas and culinary quintessence. Yea, some stuff, y’know.

And if’n when any of these travelations are neato enough, well then I’ma do my best to post ’em all up here in this blogadoo. Yesaroo. So please check back and leave comments — I’m counting on all you, my friends and fam, to be in good touch while I’m over there wanderin’ ’round.

Meantime, here’s a link to “Song of the Open Road” by Walt Whitman, who is pretty much my hero. It’s for inspiration, if I need it. If you need it. Also because it’s awesome.

}}{{



Tags: , , ,

4 responses to “San Diego: there are no bad experiences”

  1. Dad says:

    Good thoughts…. I understand them but it doesn’t mean that those you love you, trust you and respect you don’t still worry a bit about you whilst you journey…. We do and we do. dad

  2. Dave D. says:

    Get crack-a-lackan, boondiggleston w/your red bandana pouch levied to a hickory stick, Whitman failed only to mention his footwear.

  3. admin says:

    Dad — thanks. I know I can always count on you guys to give me love and support from back home. and I much appreciate it and love you right back for it.

    Dave — I think Ole Walt would have worn sandals here. but cheapo flipflops or Tevas or Birks or what — that, who can say?

  4. Jshock says:

    What would Jesus do, though? Oh yeah — Tevas!

  5. Jay Batchelder says:

    I read your postings in reverse order, so disregard my “I’m curious” comment on the Cobra message.
    I get it now–Whitman, hoo-yah!
    I’m more of a Frost fan myself: “I shall be telling this with a sigh / Somewhere ages and ages hence: / Two roads diverged in a wood, and I– / I took the one less traveled by, / And that has made all the difference.”
    His point is a bit ambiguous–does he sigh with satisfaction or regret? I’m sure in your case it will be the former, ages and ages hence. Good stories, indeed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *