BootsnAll Travel Network



Stacks and Stones

We spent the last few days exploring the Iveragh (Ring of Kerry), Beara, and Dingle peninsulas, staying in Killarney, Waterville, Kenmare, and Dingle Town.  The weather has been kind to us, so we’ve been able to do some nice walks and see quite a bit.  I’ve been surpised by how many ancient stone forts there are and my inner archaeologist loves finding them and exploring.  The most impressive were the stone “beehive” huts on Skellig Michael island.  They are perched at the very top of the mountain and are even more impressive after you’ve climbed the 650 steps to see them.  I still have no idea how they built them or even got up there before the steps were made.

We’ve also been enjoying the food and drink here as well.  The beef and Guinness caserole/stew/pie (depending on what the restaurant calls it) has been really good, and even better when washed down with a pint of the “black stuff.”  According to everything we’ve seen, heard, and read here Guinness is good for you.  It has less calories than regular beer, it will give you stregth and energy, help you sleep, and cure a whole list of problems you might have.  I’ve been testing out these stories, but I think I need a little more research.  I’ll get back to you after I’ve had a few more.

Here’s the view from the Skelligs: 

skellig-blog.JPG

Tags: , ,



2 Responses to “Stacks and Stones”

  1. Suzanne Says:

    Still so very envious that you’re in Ireland. Yes, Guiness is good for you! I had made some Irish friends when I was in Freiburg, and it was so much fun hanging out with them at the pubs in Cork. Nothing beats listening to live traditional music in a pub, and I suppose it’s even better now that they’ve gone smoke-free (although I have heard that there are pubs known to break that rule). I also remember that traffic on the Dingle Peninsula was crazy. I was driving into town on a narrow street, cars parked on both sides, a convertible coming toward me, no way to fit both of our cars on the road. I stopped dead, and the driver of the convertible (I’m still convinced it was Bill Murray) signaled for me to come through. I took a deep breath, closed my eyes (no, I’m not exaggerating, I really did close my eyes) and drove, and when I opened them, I was on the other side. Woo hoo! Turned out there was no where to park down there, anyway…

  2. Uncle Jay Says:

    It’s true.

    Guinness is a tonic second to none! Gene tells me of the time he was in hospital years ago in Plymouth. Every day a matron would come ’round with a trolley loaded with a medicinal serving of Guinness for the patients. It was considered food back then.

    Sadly, not today.

Leave a Reply