BootsnAll Travel Network



Pastabilities

I could have used this blog to go on about the beauty of the Fox and Franz Josef Glaciers, but if you want to see what they looked like, check our photo gallery on Smugmug (link at right).

Instead, we should take some time to discuss the practicalties of campervan travel. Food is a big part of camping because, really, after the sun goes down, what other G-rated activity is there to do beside cook and clean up? With no TV, dinner consumes a large part of every evening.

Although we have a stove in the camper, most of the holiday parks have nice communal kitchens where you have more room and facilites to get your gourmet on. You can also spy on what other people are eating. For the most part, it’s a pretty sad offering with lots of backpackers making pasta out of noodles and ketchup (gross) and Germans frying up all manner of meats.

For our part, we’ve tried to keep to the same type of menu we made back home. Our California-Mexican-Mediterranean-Fusion style food is often hard to duplicate, but we do the best we can. On a side note, Aussies and Kiwis do not like their food as spicy as we do – store bought condiments like mayo or salsa are way too sweet. So, we’ve resorted to making a lot of things, like fajitas, from scratch.

Generally, we like our own cooking (which is good because Gordon Ramsay is not here), but occasionally we forget to pick up a few key ingredients and have to get very creative. Tomorrow we really need to get to a grocery store because we’ve run out of just about everything. Here’s a picture of what was left in the cupboard.

If you can combine these ingredients into something that is not disgusting, please send us a recipe…

blog-dinner.JPG

PS – We drank the wine and had tuna sandwiches.  The rest is still left for tomorrow.

Tags: , ,



3 Responses to “Pastabilities”

  1. Suzanne Says:

    Well, I’m usually pretty creative with whipping up something from the pantry, but this has me stumped. If only you hadn’t used the tuna…

    Making an evening of cooking and cleaning up sounds a bit like the nights we spend at our cabin in Maine. Without electricity or running water, we are pretty much busy with said activities until the sun goes down. Then it’s (propane) lights out and into bed (sleeping bags), to spend a night listening to either nothing or the bzzzt of mosqitos in your ear or mice scurrying all around. But we really do love it! Really!!

  2. halftime Says:

    You’ve summed it up quite well. The only difference here is that instead of skeeters there are evil sandflies, everywhere!

  3. Posted from New Zealand New Zealand
  4. Bill G. Says:

    Pastabilities???? How awful that all looked. But, looking at the pictures shows it did not seem to harm the two of you at all. Maybe the fish Eric caught has sustained you for a weeks.

    You all look great. Hope you’re still having fun.

    Love Bill

  5. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply