BootsnAll Travel Network



Fahrvergnügen

We didn’t have much luck with the weather at Tongoriro NP (perhaps the eye of Sauron was on us), so we decided to head east towards the coast and sunny, warm climes.  We’ve spent the last couple of days touring some wineries in Hawke’s Bay and enjoying the beachfront campsites.  Not to bore everyone with more pretty pictures of vineyards, beaches, and sunsets, we’ve taken some of our current home on wheels.  For those that are interested and have asked about it, here is some technical data on our VW TDI Campervan (or Nutzfahrzeuge). 

It’s powered by a 4 cylinder 1.9 L diesel engine that produces 105 HP at 3500 RPM.  It has a 5 speed manual transmission (yes, we have to shift with the left hand) with maybe a top speed of 120 kmh.  It’s pretty fuel efficient at 30 mpg (a rough conversion from 13 km/l).   The height is 2.5 m (2.0 m inside) and a length of 5.3 m. 

For amenities, it has a 65 l freshwater tank, a cold water sink, a 2 burner LPG stove, a 60 l fridge, and a 55 l waste water tank.  Everything operates off 12 V and you can use some A/C sockets when plugged into campsite power.  It also has a double size sofa bed (2.1 m x 1.7 m) and a pretty good sound system.  It also has a great user manual, hence all the specs here (you should see all the data we didn’t include!).

We’ve gotten pretty good and packing it up and stowing all the gear.  It now only takes us 1 ½ hours to get on the road in the morning.  It’s been great to have the freedom to decide where we want to go each day and camp each night.  Next stop:  Could be anywhere…

blog-campervan.JPG

Tags: , ,



One Response to “Fahrvergnügen”

  1. one of the dads Says:

    Only an engineer would show a pic of an engine compartment. Too cool.

  2. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply