BootsnAll Travel Network



The Deadliest Catch

After a few days of checking the weather forecast, we finally decided to take a chance and head back to Tongariro National Park.  Along the way we passed through Taupo, the Trout Fishing Capital of the World.  We skipped the guided fishing trips that “guarantee” a catch (and also cost big $s).  Eric rented a pole, bought a license, and headed for a stream.  While I dreamed of the great dinner we were going to cook up campside, he spent some hours casting and reeling.  The result?  Well, here’s a picture of the little guy, but we had to throw him back.  We had fajitas instead.

blog-fish.JPG

As we finally arrived in Tongariro National Park, the skies had cleared and we got a peek at Mt. Ngauruhoe.  If that name doesn’t ring a bell, you might know it better as Mt. Doom.  We spent a day walking through the mountains, waterfalls, and lava fields that make up the park (and much of the scenery from Mordor).  It’s a little less scary on a sunny day:

blog-doom.JPG

Tags: , ,



4 Responses to “The Deadliest Catch”

  1. one of the dads Says:

    I guess nothin’ like the dollies at Aurora Lagoon on an ebb tide, huh?

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Avun Says:

    Gollum would have had a fit if he saw you throwing that fish back. The scenery must have been eye popping jaw dropping…

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Jin Says:

    The camper van looks like good fun. I thought Eric knew how to fish? What with all that experience in Alaska 😉 Good thing you had the cans of soup to warm up.

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. Dr. Hosack Says:

    Yet another clear sign of the effects of commercial over-fishing !! Well done captain Ahab. Throw it back from wence it came.

    Even the sock puppet is ashamed to show its face.

Leave a Reply