BootsnAll Travel Network



Auf Wiedersehen

We are in Norway now, but I’ll get to that in the next blog. For now, I thought I would just recap our our journey from Trier to Luxembourg to Belgium to get here. First off, we learned that the difference between the Luxembourg flag and the Dutch flag is just a few shades of blue.

Along the way we stopped at the brand new Herge museum which just opened in June. He is the Belgian artist who created Tintin and Snowy, and the museum is wonderful. It has very entertaining explanations about his influences, how the stories evolved over time and how they were effected by larger world events. And the artwork is just fun to see.

Finally we pulled in to Brussels to find that our hotel was across the street from what must be the world’s best, but also most inefficient pomme frites stand. People were waiting in line for over 45 minutes to get a paper cone filled with french fries. I didn’t have the patience and gave up after 15 minutes. I’ll have to wait for another trip to find out what made them so special.

Our last day in Belgium was also our last day with our car. With a heavy heart we gave it back and returned to the world of public buses and carrying our luggage. I miss it more than I thought I would, especially the GPS which could find any address in Europe regardless of how remote or tiny the street, or how many wrong turns we took on the way. I can’t imagine how we could have traveled without it.

On that note, I’ll end this post with the strangest road sign we saw during our time in the Peugeot. Apparently speeding tanks must be a real problem in Germany because there were quite a few of these along the roads near the Rhine.

 

blog-tank.jpg

Tags: , ,



Leave a Reply