BootsnAll Travel Network



Good news from Nueva Esperanza

One of the researchers with the Earthwatch Institute Amazon project sent me an update on how The Friends Project donation of $300 for health-care and wildlife management initiatives has been used in the very remote village of Nueva Esperanza. There are 190 people here and no services.

*installing screens on windows of homes to help prevent malaria.

*buying plastic sandals for children ages 3 to 12 to protect their feet.

*building a metal screen around the latrine at the small school, for sanitation.

There’s still $40 left. Tula says they will use it to buy plastic buckets and chlorine, to teach villagers a safe and simple way to sanitize river water that they use to drink and cook.

Malaria’s a huge problem here, because villagers rely on the forest and river for water and food.

Photos of the work coming.

Here is a link to an article about spending time in Nueva Esperanza and with a family on the Yavari River that I wrote for my newpsaper:
http://www.mpnnow.com/news/view_story.php?articleId=2408&zoom_highlight=amazon

Village visit



Tags: , , , , , ,

0 responses to “Good news from Nueva Esperanza”

  1. Jen says:

    Wow! It’s amazing how far the equivalent of a few dinners out will go…

  2. admin says:

    It really is, isn’t it?

  3. Liz says:

    That is absolutely awesome! Amazing how far a little bit can go.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *