BootsnAll Travel Network



Phuket

Thursday 9th November 2006

Arriving in Phuket was surprisingly easy.  We had arranged it so that we got picked up from our hostel in Bangkok and transfered to the airport where our flight was with Bangkok Airways (‘Thailand’s boutique airline’ dont you know!!).  We got given noodles on the plane they were great.  Anyway, we got picked up at the airport too which took all the hassel of sorting out a taxi for ourselves once we got there.

We are staying at ‘Sandy Beach’ on Patong beach in Phuket.  ‘Sandy Beach’ is about a two minute walk to the beach.  It’s great.  We have spent most of our time just lazing on the beach.  The most taxing thing is saying ‘no’ to various thai people who try to sell you all sorts of things from fruit and ice creams to sarongs, tops and wooden elephants.

Muay Thai boxing is big here.  We got to go to our first thai boxing match.  The atmosphere was amazing.  We were right in the thick of it with all the thai men waving their hands around and getting all excited with their betting.  So much fun.  We saw 8 matches ranging from young boys right through to the big boys with one girl fight in between, which i didnt like (something about girls fighting like men that isnt right).

Today we visited Phuket town.  We got a bus from the beach front which costs 20 baht.  The bus takes an hour but its much cheaper than a tuk tuk and quite an experience being packed in like sardines in the bus.  Phuket town itself is pretty much non existant and a bit of a let down for us.  There is supposed to be some good portuguse architecture here but we werent overly impressed.

 



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *