BootsnAll Travel Network



Fiji….

Sunday 18th June 2006

“Bula!” (That means hello – everyone says it here! – People are so friendly).

We arrived at 3am at Nadi (pronounced Nandi). The flight was about 11 hours 15 minutes and because we were travelling from America we have somehow lost a day. It feels funny to have just missed a whole day. We got a free pick up from the airport to our ‘skylodge’ which was great but when we went to check in we were told that we had to wait until 1pm. Not funny! So I thought I would check my emails – internet not working and no others will be open at that time in the morning. No breakfast served until 7am. Waiting and waiting. HUNGRY!

When we finally did check in they tried to put us in a 20+ person dorm which is not what we had booked, then we got locked into our room – someone thought it would be funny to lock us in and why they have a lock on the outside I have no idea?

Then the hook fell off the wall……it’s great here!!

Aside from the ‘skylodge’, last night we went to an island just off Nadi called Denarau Island and had dinner there and watched fire walking. It was in another hotel which was lovely and right on the beach.

We also made a trip to Lautoka where we walked around this amazing market – so many different smells. They sell lots of Kava root in the market. This is something that the locals drink like tea. They grind up the root and strain the powder with water through a cloth (some people we have met have even seen it being strained through a sock! Nice). In the mountains where the real villagers live they have a kava ceremony where you have to clap and say ‘bula’ and then ‘vinaka’ – which is thank you.

In the market we were in we met a policeman on his day off and he took us to drink kava. Janine thought it tasted like muddy water. It definitely looks like muddy water. I didnt mind it but it made my tongue go numb. You have to drink it if it is offered to you as you are thought rude if not.

We also took the bus, which plays the radio at full blast and plays music like Snoop Dogg and Britney Spears – very odd, to Nadi town. The town is bustling and it is so humid and sunny that it is tiring to walk around.

We have had our first Fiji Gold beers though in Nadi town. The beer is very very nice.

On Friday we moved to another hostel for the night where we met up with my friend Jenna. It is good to have 3 of us together now. Yesturday we checked into ‘Club Fiji’. We have a little bungalow on the beach – it is amazing. Today it is raining but yesturday was so hot and sunny – we sunbathed in our bikinis.

The tide goes out really far and the sand is unfortunately not golden but black. It is still soft though. Everyone has told us to head to the islands where it is beautiful and the beaches are better.

Fiji is a wonderful place – I cant wait to explore the islands.



Tags: ,

3 responses to “Fiji….”

  1. Tracy says:

    WOW!!! Fiji sounds absolutey fantastic!!! Enjoy exploring the islands & thanks so much for the updates!

    Tracy
    x

  2. Leah says:

    Hey Georgie!

    You seem to be having a great time – don’t forget your sun cream though!

    You and Gemma brighten up my dull work-9-to-6 London weekdays with your blogs. Are you taken any pictures?

    Strange that Britney follows you everywhere though…?! Universal language of poppiness?

    Leah xxxxxx

  3. blog says:

    greatings

    exellent

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *