BootsnAll Travel Network



Tofo-riffic

A  third world country  and a third world country I  got! Mozambique is definitely third world. There are huge colorful markets everywhere with people setting up stalls to sell everything from fruit to couches and mattresses. They will sell absolutely everything at these places and there is almost no need for physical stores. There are women and children everywhere with babies strapped on their backs with colorful clothes and carrying huge tubs on their heads. These tubs contain anything from the largest avocados I’ve ever seen to bread to drinks to water. If the bus stops or slows down men, women and children come running up to try to sell you cashews, or drinks or fruit, even jewelry and nail polish and flip flops. The public transport system is on Chapas, which are actually mini buses meant to hold about 16 people.You stand on the side of the road and flag one down and get in…. they tend to fit as many people as possible in with no regard to babies, elderly or women. I was in a chapa with at least 30 people in it. At that point they left the sliding door open everyone just stood on the bus and held onto the ceiling with most their body hanging out of the bus, all that was missing was a couple chickens and a goat or two!

Tofo is beautiful with turquoise waters and a huge beach, but since it is a tourist area it is not priced as a tourist area! But it is always free to lay on the beach so I have been doing a lot of that. Also enjoying the liquid sunshine, as my dad would call it when it rains but is sunny out, as well as the sea breezes and even a storm or two. I hung out with my irish friends Ciaran and Michelle and we enjoyed making some great food with the local produce and just hanging out sharing stories. I went on an ocean safari in search of whale sharks or even a manta ray and unfortunately we didn’t see anything…. in fact we didn’t even get out of the boat to snorkel at all!!! That was a disappointment, but just means I’ll just have to keep traveling in order to find a whale shark (like I was ever really gonna stop… right!) It was a great week with great friends and very nice and relaxing before I have stuff I have to get done before safari.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *