BootsnAll Travel Network



Pictures!

I posted a bunch of pictures that have been taken over the past couple months. To see the pictures click on “Pictures” under “my links” on the right hand side about half way down. Some of them are from Jiuxiang which is about 2 hours from here by car and famous for it’s caves. I also posted a picture of a dam that is near there as it is typical of the many dams in China and typical of the many dams that they are worried about having been damaged by the earthquakes. There is one picture of a candle-light earthquake vigil being held by students near my apartment. There are also some pictures from the May 1 holiday celebration of the Olympics. Also included are typical local sights such as pig carcasses being delivered on bicycle wagons or bicycle and a man walking carrying a large amount of toilet paper. It is also common to see someone carrying 20 or 30 live chickens on a bicycle or motorbike with many of them hanging upside down tied together by the feet. Most goods here are delivered by bicycle, bicycle wagon, donkey or horse drawn wagon, motorcycle or mini van. The other day I saw a front door for a home being delivered on a motorbike. I rarely see trucks being used for deliveries except for Coca-Cola and they use small trucks with one door on the back. I attended a Chinese wedding recently with a friend and there are some pictures of that. The wedding ceremony was held in a hotel ballroom while a banquet was being served. During the part of the ceremony where the wedding vows were being exchanged the guests were being typically Chinese, talking and making noise. At one point the pretty lady serving as the MC that performed the ceremony raised her arms and all could see her hairy armpits (most of the ladies here don’t shave armpits or legs but most of them don’t have much hair on their legs anyway).

In my last post I talked about birth control. When a couple does decide to have a baby they have to get approval from the local government. Without the approval they cannot get a resident card for the child and the child would not be entitled to any government services such as education.



Tags:

Comments are closed.