BootsnAll Travel Network



In Guangzhou now doing some work and getting ready for travel.

I’m in Guangzhou now. It’s a very large city a 2 hour bus ride from Zhuhai and not far from Hong Kong so I can get some HK tv stations so there are more tv options and even a few U.S. tv shows. I’m in a nice hotel with a comfortable room, nice bathroom and good internet connection. It feels like luxury compared to the apartment in Zhuhai and all for only $26 per night. I have been working on doing an online course to get a certificate for teaching business English and doing a little sightseeing. I have also been preparing for some traveling that I will be doing over the next few weeks. Here in GZ I have visited Chen’s Ancestral Lineage Hall and The Museum of the Mausoleum of the Nanyue King. I have posted some pic’s from Chen’s which show some of the features of the building and also show some impressive examples of Chinese craftsmanship. These pic’s are posted in a new folder called China travel. I also posted a couple new pic’s in the teacher training folder labeled graduation of me getting my TESOL certificate.
Chen’s Hall was built in 1636 during the Ming dynasty by the extended Chen family and served many purposes. The Museum of the Mausoleum was discovered during construction in 1983 and is the tomb of a king from the Han dynasty that died around 130 BC. The tomb contained thousands of artifacts and included the remains of the king and 11 others including 4 concubines, some cooks and other servants/guards. Sorry, my pic’s of the tomb since I forgot my camera that day.
I know I have commented a few times about some of the foods here but I thought I’d take the time to list some of the “unique” foods I have eaten since I’ve been here. Some of them I enjoyed and some of them I prefer to never try again…..lol. The Chinese do not waste any part of an animal; they seem to find a make a meal out of every part. The question I have is what happens to the good parts such as the chicken breasts and the ham from pigs as I don’t ever seem to get the good parts in a restaurant. So here’s the list…..I’m sure I have forgotten a few things but this is most of them. Eel, fish head, cow stomach (too chewy and not all that tasty), chicken feet, fresh squeezed bamboo juice (very sweet) and pigeon. The whole time I was in Zhuhai I didn’t have any hamburgers so my first day here in GZ I went to McDonalds for a Big Mac (cost was $1.70). There are a few western restaurants in a big mall not too far away so I can easily get my fix of western food. I also sometimes go to a nearby street café for dim sum for breakfast which costs less than a dollar and more than half the price is for the bottle of orange juice. Well, that’s it for now!



Tags:

Comments are closed.