BootsnAll Travel Network



Puno (Uros, Amantani & Taquile islands)

Uros Islands

The Uros islands in Lake Titicaca are manmade. They consist of tortora reeds. People live on them, give tours and sell trinkets. The bottom layer of reeds rots, so the residents must continously add layers of reeds to the top.

Amantani Island

Amantani island is a natural island on Lake Titicaca. This is the temple of Pachamama (mother earth), on top of the highest hill on the island. Nowadays the people attend Catholic church every Sunday, but they also worship Pachamama once a year, on June 21, their winter solstice.

dancing fool

On Amantani island, we stayed with a family: Eugenio, Wilma, Kevin, Kelly and Jocelyn. In the evening, Wilma dressed us up, and Eugenio took us to a dance with all the other dressed up foreigners.

boy knitting

The traditional activity for men and boys on Taquile Island is knitting. (The women are weavers.) Here’s a boy knitting a hat with 5 needles. I tried chatting with several knitting men, but they didn’t seem too impressed that I knit, too.

Lake Titicaca boat

This boat was brought in pieces to Lake Titicaca via mule train from Arica, Chile, in the late 19th century! It took 6 years for the boat to get there from England, where the it was manufactured. It has been restored and is now a museum in Puno.

We’re heading to Copacabana, Bolivia tomorrow.



Tags: , , ,

4 Responses to “Puno (Uros, Amantani & Taquile islands)”

  1. Jules Says:

    Great to hear from you !!!!!!

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Krissy Says:

    Please send pictures with feathers in your hair and a dress cut down to there. Immediately Merengue and Cha Cha.

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Christos Says:

    Fantastic photos. So Dan, you finally made it to the Uros. I am glad! I would be interested to hear your views on the whole island/tourist etc phenomenon. Take care – Xos

  6. Posted from Australia Australia
  7. Mara Says:

    Great pics! It looks lovely — got any yarn yet? (just kidding)

    The dance looks like fun, too.

  8. Posted from United States United States